What are some methods for separating mixtures in chemistry?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between an ideal gas and a real gas in terms of the assumptions of the kinetic theory. The six assumptions of the kinetic theory are stated, including the fact that gases consist of tiny particles called molecules, the average distance between particles is large, and the molecules move in rapid random motions. The discussion also includes methods for separating mixtures of sand and sugar in water, and iron fillings and copper sulfate, with a suggestion to use distilled water and a magnet for easier separation. The concept of elastic collisions in an ideal gas is also explained, where no energy is lost during collisions, resulting in no heat being transferred to the container.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. For my chemistry exam coming up soon, i was told to study these long answer questions. Could someone please help me out with them.

Discuss the differences between an ideal gas and a real gas in terms of the assumptions of the kinetic theory.

Well to start with, id state the six assumptions:
  1. Gases consist of tiny particles called molecules, with the exception of noble gases, which consist of single atoms
  2. The average distance between particles in a gas is very large, in comparison to the size of the particles
  3. The molecules of a gas move in rapid random straight line motions. These movements result in collisions with other particles and container walls
  4. The forces of attraction/repulsion between the particles are negligible
  5. Collisions are perfectly elastic, meaning no net energy loss occurs during collisions
  6. The average kinetic energy of the molecules of a gas increase with temperature

What should i do from there? Heres a few ideas I've thought of, in note form:
  • Gas particles have a volume, although quite small, so there are forces of attraction/repulsion

And well yea...thats all i can think of at the moment :rolleyes:

Describe in detail the best methods for the separation of the following mixtures. Include a discussion on why the method works.
a) Sand and sugar in water
b) Iron filings and copper sulfate

For the sand and water mixture, to start with, id look at the sand. Since it is insolube in water, id either decant or filter it. If it is a heavy sand, id decant, otherwise, id filter.

Once that's complete, and i have separated the sugar water from the sand, id evaporate the water from the sugar solution. Since the sugar and water have very different boiling points, (the water being lower), i could fully evaporate the water and be left with sugar.

For the copper sulfate and iron filings, what i would have said is to add water to the mixture, to dissolve the copper sulfate. Id then decant the mixture to remove any iron filings. Then heat the copper sulfate solution to rid of any water.

Thats all for now. Please tell me any other information i could include.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your ideal gasses a good thread is located https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121779".

As for seperating the mixtures your answers are fine. However, it may be better to state that you will use distilled water, this negates the requirement for purification of the separated products. An easier method for seperating the iron fillings would be to use a magnet :wink:

~H

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks :)

One more thing. Could you explain what it means for the collisions to be perfectly elastic? Does it mean that as a particle collides with another, there is no energy transferred?

Last edited:
It means kinetic energy is conserved.

~H

So there is never going to be heat lost to the container through collisions in an ideal gas?

That's correct.

danago said:
So there is never going to be heat lost to the container through collisions in an ideal gas?

You are correct. Damn Gokul types fast!

~H

ok thanks :)

Related to What are some methods for separating mixtures in chemistry?

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of only one type of atom. A compound, on the other hand, is made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio.

What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is made up of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons. A molecule is a group of two or more atoms held together by chemical bonds.

What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7. They can also be identified by their sour (acid) or bitter (base) taste.

What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape, size, or state of matter, without changing its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, is a change in the chemical composition of a substance, resulting in the formation of new substances with different properties.

What is the difference between an exothermic and an endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, light, or sound, and the temperature of the surroundings increases. An endothermic reaction absorbs energy from the surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. The terms "exo-" and "endo-" refer to the direction of energy flow in the reaction.