What are some recommended books for preparing for the ISI entrance exam?

Other recommended books include "Higher Algebra" by Hall and Knight, "Problems in Calculus of One Variable" by I.A. Maron, and "A Course of Mathematical Analysis" by Shanti Narayan. These books can be easily found in bookstores and are not too rare or hard to find. Additionally, the books you already have, "Plane Trigonometry" by S.L. Loney and "Challenge and Thrill of Precollege Mathematics" are good resources for building the basics. In summary, for preparing for the bmath entrance exam, it is recommended to use the ISI's book TOMATO and other books such as "Higher Algebra" by
Mr X
I'm just done with 12th and I would like to prepare for the bmath entrance exam for ISI.
I need some books to prepare and build the basics. So considering there's approximately an year to prepare, please give some good book suggestions that are not too rare and too hard to find in bookstores
Also, I alredy have
1. Plane Trigonometry by S.L lonely
2. Challenge and thrill of precollege mathematics
Are these good for preparation?

Thankyou in advance 🙏

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a Google search and it returned some suggested books:

1684246458688.png

berkeman said:
I did a Google search and it returned some suggested books:

View attachment 326610
I was hoping for a reply from someone who has tried these books. Because you know, Many sites give different books, and I don't know which are actually good and usefull. Thanks anyways.

Likes Frimus
I think the ISI publishes their own book, TOMATO (Test of Mathematics at the 10+2 Level)

Likes Mr X

1. What is the ISI entrance exam?

The ISI entrance exam is an entrance examination conducted by the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) for admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate programs in statistics, mathematics, and computer science.

2. Why is it important to prepare for the ISI entrance exam?

Preparing for the ISI entrance exam is important because it is a highly competitive exam and requires thorough understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts. A good score in this exam can secure admission into one of the top institutes for statistics and mathematics in India.

3. What are some recommended books for preparing for the ISI entrance exam?

Some recommended books for preparing for the ISI entrance exam include "Introduction to Probability and Mathematical Statistics" by Lee J. Bain and Max Engelhardt, "A Course in Mathematical Statistics" by George G. Roussas, and "An Introduction to Statistical Learning" by Gareth James et al.

4. Are there any specific topics that I should focus on while preparing for the ISI entrance exam?

Yes, some important topics that you should focus on while preparing for the ISI entrance exam include probability, statistics, calculus, linear algebra, and computer science fundamentals. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts.

5. How can I best utilize these recommended books for preparing for the ISI entrance exam?

To make the most out of these recommended books, it is important to first understand your strengths and weaknesses in the subject. Then, focus on the topics that you need to improve on and use the books as a guide to deepen your understanding of these concepts. Practice questions and previous years' papers can also help in gauging your preparation level.