What are the axioms underlying the definition of sine?

In summary, roni is asking about the axioms of a certain definition of the sine. He mentions that it has at least two equivalent definitions and that one of them is more general than the other. He also provides a suggestion for a more general definition of the sine.
roni1
My class is difficult to teach, but I have a question that I think that I share the forum and if you give nice ideas it can be helpful.
This is my last question of axioms and so on because I don't want to be as a mathematic cranck.
So, this is my last question that deal with it.
What I need to answer to the question: "What are the axioms of sinus definition?"
Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
roni said:
My class is difficult to teach, but I have a question that I think that I share the forum and if you give nice ideas it can be helpful.
This is my last question of axioms and so on because I don't want to be as a mathematic cranck.
What I need to answer to the question: "What are the axioms of sinus definition?"
Any ideas?

Hey roni,

Classicaly, the sine is defined through the axioms (also known as postulates) of Euclidean Geometry, which is what is needed to define a right-angled triangle. And we also need the axioms of the Field of the real numbers, since the sine is defined as the quotient of 2 real numbers.

However, the sine has a number of equivalent definitions.
One of those is:
$$\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \frac{x^7}{7!} + \cdots $$
With this definition it suffices to just have the axioms of a Field.
And the same definition applies both to the field of the real numbers and to the field of the complex numbers.
So this definition is more general than the geometric definition and requires fewer axioms.

For the record, there are 3 types of statements in mathematics:
  1. Axioms or Postulates.
  2. Definitions.
  3. Propositions, Theorems, Lemmas, Corollaries (all require a Proof).
The axioms or postulates are the assumptions we make that define the framework of what follows.
Definitions define terms or symbols that we will then use afterwards.
Propositions, theorems, lemmas, and corollaries are statements that follow from the axioms and definitions. They are accompanied by a Proof to prove that they are actually true. Each of these terms is used interchangeably and formally they all mean the same thing. It's a matter of preference which one is used.

roni said:

Still I am curious about what class you are teaching. Is it introductory analysis?

roni said:

Asking about axioms does not make you a crank.

roni said:
Any ideas?

It is my impression that some of the "axioms" you are asking about are really definitions of minimal structures (such as the algebraic structure "field") underlying the concept of interest (such as "integral" or "sine".)

In addition to the answers by ILS in post #2, I would like to offer my favorite one. Namely, given the system of differential equations
\[
\left\{
\begin{aligned}
\dot{u} &= v,\\
\dot{v} &= -u,\\
\end{aligned}
\right.
\]
with initial values $u(0) = 0, v(0) = 1$, we denote the global solution $(u, v) : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^2$ and then we define $\sin := u$ and $\cos := v$.

If you apply Picard iteration to solve the above differential equation, then for $u$ you obtain precisely the power series from post #2, while for $v$ you obtain the familiar power series for $\cos$.

(Credits to Joost Hulshof (VU, Amsterdam) for showing this once in his Analysis I course.)

Last edited:

1. What are the axioms of sinus definition?

The axioms of sinus definition are a set of fundamental principles that define the properties of the trigonometric function, sine. These axioms include the unit circle definition, the Pythagorean identity, and the periodicity property.

2. How are the axioms of sinus definition used in mathematics?

The axioms of sinus definition are used to solve mathematical problems involving sine, such as finding the value of a sine function at a given angle, graphing sine functions, and solving trigonometric equations.

3. Can the axioms of sinus definition be proven?

Yes, the axioms of sinus definition can be proven using mathematical logic and theorems. These proofs involve using algebra, geometry, and calculus to show the validity of the axioms.

4. Are the axioms of sinus definition universal?

Yes, the axioms of sinus definition are universal and apply to all triangles and angles, regardless of their size or orientation. They are also applicable in other fields, such as physics and engineering.

5. How do the axioms of sinus definition relate to other trigonometric functions?

The axioms of sinus definition are closely related to the axioms of other trigonometric functions, such as cosine and tangent. They share similar properties, such as the unit circle definition and the Pythagorean identity, but differ in their specific characteristics and applications.