What are the different methods of factoring polynomials?

In summary, the methods of factoring include method of common factors, factorization by regrouping terms, factorization using identities, factors of the form (x + a) (x + b), and factor by splitting. Factoring polynomials can be done through various techniques, such as finding the roots and using the Rational root theorem. However, factoring cubic polynomials can be more complicated and often requires more advanced methods.
awholenumber
Methods of factoring .

Method of common factors
Factorization by regrouping terms
Factorization using identities
Factors of the form ( x + a) ( x + b)
Factor by Splitting

factoring_polynomials.png

factoing_polynomials_2.png

factoring_polynomials_3.png

Is this all the factoring methods out there ? Or are there more ?

I am also looking for a book with lots of practice problems of factoring polynomials .

Please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want to factorize school examples that are designed to have nice results, you can use whatever tricks come to your mind.
If you want to do it in practice, you find the roots first, either with a formula (probably only with quadratic polynomials) or using one of several iterative methods (I like Laguerre's method but there are dozens).
Once you have the roots, say a, b, c, d then the factorization is ##k(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d)##. Obviously the number of factors depends on the degree of the polynomial.

Edit: forgot to put in the constant multiplier ##k## that is the same as the coefficient of the highest degree, e.g. 5 in ##5x^3-2x+1##.

Likes awholenumber
Thanks for the reply ,
One reason why i like this forum is that you always get a fast reply no matter how stupid your questions are .

:-)

Likes Brian blake science
You may like the Rational root theorem.

If we can split a polynomial with integer coefficients, like ##3x^3 - 5x^2 + 5x - 2##, in the form ##a(x-b)(x^2+...)## where ##b## is an integer or a rational number, then ##b## has to be plus or minus a divider of ##2## divided by a divider of ##3##.
That is, b is one of ##\pm \frac 11, \pm\frac 21, \pm\frac 13, \pm \frac 23##.
And indeed, if we substitute ##x=\frac 23##, we find that it's a root.
So we can split it as ##3(x- \frac 23)(x^2 + ..)## or more cleanly as ##(3x- 2)(x^2 + ..)##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and awholenumber
Thanks for the reply ,
Currently i am only following the materials available from these resources .

http://ncert.nic.in/textbook/textbook.htm
https://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/beginning-algebra/
http://ins.sjtu.edu.cn/people/mtang/textbook.pdf

Most of those resources don't have factorization of Cubic polynomials in it , Don't know why though .
I guess those methods are more advanced than the usual methods .

I am only getting comfortable with explanations like these ,

A whole number has "pairs of factors" in it which when multiplied together gives you the whole number
I like that explanation because it says "pairs of factors" , you can then chose the "pairs of factors" that goes to the middle part of the polynomial when factoring it .

I am only trying to find more examples of "Factor by Splitting"

:-)

awholenumber said:
Most of those resources don't have factorization of Cubic polynomials in it
Because factoring a cubic polynomial is generally very complicated. There are a few cubics that have nice factorizations, such as ##(x^3 + a^3) = (x + a)(x^2 - ax + a^2)## and ##(x^3 - a^3) = (x - a)(x^2 + ax + a^2)##.

Likes awholenumber
Thanks for the explanations :-)

What are the different methods of factoring polynomials?

There are several methods for factoring polynomials, including:

• Greatest Common Factor (GCF) Method: This method involves finding the greatest common factor of the terms in the polynomial and factoring it out.
  • Difference of Squares Method: This method is used when the polynomial is in the form of a2 - b2. It involves factoring out the two perfect squares and using the difference of squares formula.
  • Trinomial Factoring Method: This method is used when the polynomial is in the form of ax2 + bx + c. It involves finding two numbers that when multiplied, equal ac and when added, equal b. These numbers are then used to factor the polynomial.
  • Grouping Method: This method is used when the polynomial has four or more terms. It involves grouping terms together and factoring out common factors.
  • Quadratic Formula Method: This method is used when the polynomial is a quadratic equation. It involves using the quadratic formula to find the roots of the equation, which can then be used to factor the polynomial.

Which method is the most efficient for factoring polynomials?

The most efficient method for factoring polynomials will depend on the specific polynomial being factored. Some polynomials may be easier to factor using the GCF method, while others may require the use of the quadratic formula method. It is important to try different methods to see which one works best for a particular polynomial.

Can all polynomials be factored?

Yes, all polynomials can be factored. However, some polynomials may be more difficult to factor than others, and some may require the use of more advanced methods.

What is the purpose of factoring polynomials?

Factoring polynomials is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to find the roots of a polynomial, which can be used to graph the polynomial and solve real-world problems.

Are there any tricks or shortcuts for factoring polynomials?

While there are no shortcuts for factoring polynomials, there are some strategies and patterns that can make the process easier. These include looking for common factors, using the difference of squares formula, and grouping terms. Practice and familiarity with different factoring methods can also make the process faster and more efficient.