What Are the Different Types of Derivatives in Calculus?

In summary, derivatives in first year calculus include Gateaux, Frechet, Covariant, Lie, Exterior, and Material derivatives. These are used in calculus of variations, calculus on manifolds, and fluid mechanics. They can be categorized as continuous generalizations and there may be subsets of each other. They are not limited to a specific field and can be used in physics, engineering, and mathematics. However, fully understanding and organizing these derivatives may require more time and effort.
observer1
  1. Derivatives in first year calculus
  2. Gateaux Derivatives
  3. Frechet Derivatives
  4. Covariant Derivatives
  5. Lie Derivatives
  6. Exterior Derivatives
  7. Material Derivatives

So, I learn about Gateaux and Frechet when studying calculus of variations
I learn about Covariant, Lie and Exterior when studying calculus on manifolds
I learn about Material derivatives when studying fluid mechanics

But I would have never thought there would be so many.

Is this about all there is?

May I ask if someone can categorize these?
When are they used? How are they used? Are there more?
Can you possibly create a table? Are there subsets of each other?
Are some a manifestation of only physics or engineering or math?

Can anyone bring order out of this chaos for me?

Last edited:
Likes Useful nucleus
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm inclined to make an Insight out of it. Looks like an invitation to a small essay.

Likes Useful nucleus
fresh_42 said:
I'm inclined to make an Insight out of it. Looks like an invitation to a small essay.

Please...

observer1 said:
Please...
But this takes some time. Maybe someone is faster here. But I doubt there is a short answer, except perhaps: continuous generalizations.

Related to What Are the Different Types of Derivatives in Calculus?

What is the Pantheon of Derivatives?

The Pantheon of Derivatives is a term used to describe the collection of all financial derivatives that are traded in various markets around the world. These derivatives can include options, futures, swaps, and other complex financial instruments.

How are derivatives used in the financial market?

Derivatives are used by investors and financial institutions to manage risk, speculate on future market movements, and hedge against potential losses. They can also be used to gain exposure to different asset classes and to create more complex investment strategies.

What are the risks associated with derivatives?

Derivatives can be highly leveraged and complex financial instruments, which can increase the level of risk for investors. There is also the potential for market volatility and unexpected events to impact the value of derivatives.

Who regulates the trading of derivatives?

The trading of derivatives is regulated by various government agencies, including the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in the United States. In other countries, there may be different regulatory bodies overseeing the trading of derivatives.

What is the role of derivatives in the global economy?

Derivatives play a significant role in the global economy, as they provide liquidity and efficiency to financial markets. They also help businesses and investors manage risk, which can contribute to overall economic stability and growth.