What are the hamilton equations of motion for homogeneous lagrangians?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lagrangian L(x^k,\dot{x}^k) that is homogeneous in the \dot{x}^k in the first degree. The usual Hamiltonian is shown to vanish, and an alternative conjugate momenta is defined as y_j=L\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j}. This can be used to find the velocities as a function of the position and momenta, and the Hamiltonian can then be expressed in terms of this function. The conversation then raises a question about \dot{y}_i, which the speaker finds the answer to in a book by Hanno Rund titled "The Hamilton-Jacobi equation in the Calculus of
pellman
For a Lagrangian [itex]L(x^k,\dot{x}^k)[/itex] which is homogeneous in the [itex]\dot{x}^k[/itex] in the first degree, the usual Hamiltonian vanishes identically. Instead an alternative conjugate momenta is defined as

[itex]y_j=L\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j}[/itex]

which can then be inverted to give the velocities as a function of the position and momenta

[itex]\dot{x}^i=\phi^{i}(x^k,y_k)[/itex]

The Hamiltonian is then equal to the Lagrangian with the velocities replaced with this function

[itex]H(x^k,y_k)=L(x^k,\phi^{k}(x^l,y_l))[/itex]

We then find that

[itex]\dot{x}^i=H\frac{\partial H}{\partial y_i}[/itex]

which is one half of the Hamilton equations of motion. But what about [itex]\dot{y}_i[/itex]?

I am following Hanno Rund The Hamilton-Jacobi equation in the Calculus of Variations. But Rund moves on from this point to the H-J equation, leaving me wondering about this question.

Physics news on Phys.org

I found the answer to this

1. What is a homogeneous Lagrangian?

A homogeneous Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is a function of the generalized coordinates and velocities of the system, and it represents the total energy of the system.

2. What are the Hamilton equations of motion?

The Hamilton equations of motion are a set of equations that describe the evolution of a system over time. They are derived from the Hamiltonian, which is a function of the system's generalized coordinates and momenta. These equations are used to predict the future state of a system based on its current state.

3. How are Hamilton equations of motion derived from a homogeneous Lagrangian?

The Hamilton equations of motion can be derived from a homogeneous Lagrangian by using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations relate the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to a generalized coordinate to the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the corresponding momentum. This process yields a set of equations that describe the dynamics of the system.

4. What is the significance of homogeneous Lagrangians in physics?

Homogeneous Lagrangians have significant importance in physics because they provide a concise and elegant way to describe the dynamics of a system. They also allow for the application of various mathematical techniques, such as the Hamilton equations of motion, which can be used to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of a system.

5. Can Hamilton equations of motion be applied to all systems?

Yes, Hamilton equations of motion can be applied to all systems that can be described by a homogeneous Lagrangian. This includes a wide range of physical systems, such as classical mechanics systems, quantum systems, and even some systems in economics and biology. As long as the system's dynamics can be described by a homogeneous Lagrangian, the Hamilton equations of motion can be used to analyze and predict its behavior.