What are the problems with a path dependent potentials?

In summary, path-dependent potentials, such as magnetic scalar potential and normal electric potential over a changing electric field, can pose problems due to their multivalued nature and complicated computations. Returning to the original state may not be possible unless the path is exactly reversed, and these potentials do not deal with conservative forces or potential energy functions. However, for many important physics phenomena, such as gravity and electro-magnetic forces, path-independent potentials are sufficient and allow for easier calculations. The concept of path-dependent potentials is also related to Feynman's path integral.
Shing Ernst
What exactly are the problems with a path-dependent potentials? (e.g. magnetic scalar potential, normal electric potential over a changing electric field)
I came up with this question, but can't be sure.
The problems with such potential seem to me may be multivalued, as well as making the computation too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every little wiggle in the path can change the value. Also, returning to the original position will not get you back to the original state unless you exactly reverse the path. You are not dealing with a conservative force or a potential energy function.

I am thinking if there is actually nothing wrong with path dependent potentials? just because path-independent potential so powerful that some of us split on path dependent potentials...? (Since sometimes we can calculate things in seconds thanks to conservation of energy, which is guaranteed by path-independent potential)
(btw, a friend of mine on the Internet reminded me a few search on Google, it seems has something to do with Feynman's path integral.)

Last edited:
Shing Ernst said:
I am thinking if there is actually nothing wrong with path dependent potentials? just because path-independent potential so powerful that some of us split on path dependent potentials...? (Since sometimes we can calculate things in seconds thanks to conservation of energy, which is guaranteed by path-independent potential)
(btw, a friend of mine on the Internet reminded me a few search on Google, it seems has something to do with Feynman's path integral.)
If you are dealing with something that is path dependent, then you have no choice. But just try writing one down and you will see that it is difficult. And even if you do that, the things you can say about it only apply to that one path. Luckily, so much interesting and important physics deals with conservative forces and potentials (gravity, electro-magnetic, etc. ) that it is not much of a problem. And a lot more can be done if the paths are restricted to avoid circling around singularities.

Likes Shing Ernst and fresh_42

1. What is a path dependent potential?

A path dependent potential is a type of potential energy function that is dependent on the path or trajectory taken by a particle or system. This means that the potential energy of the particle or system will vary based on the specific path it takes, rather than just the starting and ending points.

2. What are some examples of path dependent potentials?

One example of a path dependent potential is the magnetic potential energy experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. The potential energy is dependent on the specific path taken by the particle, as well as its charge and the strength of the magnetic field. Another example is a conservative force, such as gravity, where the potential energy is dependent on the path taken by an object.

3. What are the problems with path dependent potentials?

The main problem with path dependent potentials is that they can make it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of a system. Because the potential energy is dependent on the path taken, even small changes in the trajectory can result in significantly different outcomes. This can make it challenging to make precise calculations and predictions about the system.

4. How do path dependent potentials affect the stability of a system?

Path dependent potentials can greatly affect the stability of a system. In systems with multiple stable states, the path taken by the system can determine which state it ends up in. This means that even small changes in the trajectory of the system can lead to a different stable state, making it difficult to control and predict the behavior of the system.

5. Can path dependent potentials be avoided?

In some cases, it is possible to avoid path dependent potentials by carefully designing the system or using certain techniques. For example, in the case of a magnetic potential, a uniform magnetic field can be used to eliminate the path dependence. However, in many cases, path dependent potentials are inherent to the system and cannot be completely eliminated. In these cases, scientists must carefully consider and account for the potential energy variations when studying and predicting the behavior of the system.