What are your best sci-fi short films?

In summary, these two videos are time-related and have sci-fi themes. Personally, I prefer 5-20 minute movies with both width and depth. Would like to have a natural science focus, especially physics-related.
Duplex
Gold Member
Personally, I prefer 5-20 minute movies with both width and depth. Would like to have a natural science focus, especially physics-related.
Here are two of my favorites on YouTube. Time-related.

One-Minute Time Machine (5:40)
A kind of "multi-world generator" with a delete button and quantum mechanical "teleportation".

FTL (16:23)
A kind of sci-fi teleportation. Happy end with two fascinating, beautiful alien space ships. Like swirling 4D puzzle pieces?
I would like to see the design drawing for them. Together with a complete reference design (how to build and operate an alien space ship).]

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
La Jetee, by Chris Marker, is only 20 minutes long. It's definitely sci-fi, but is it a film? Given that it's technically not "moving pictures".

Likes OmCheeto
jedishrfu said:
There’s a YouTube channel, DUST that’s dedicated to sci fi short films. The ones I’ve seen are pretty good although you feel sad when they end so quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7sDT8jZ76VLV1u__krUutA

It would be good to provide links to your favorites so we didn’t have to search for them.
I think I've watched at least half of the "DUST" videos. Too many good ones to list.
Here's one that I found that I really enjoyed.
I don't think it's on DUST, so I'm guessing that YouTube suggested it to me one day:

The Looking Planet​

Likes jedishrfu
Here’s one I saw recently, dystopian and dark but with a deeper story

For the 40K fans out there (particularly IG lovers):

Likes jedishrfu

1. What makes a sci-fi short film stand out?

A well-made sci-fi short film is typically defined by its unique and thought-provoking concept, well-developed characters, and high production value. It should also have a strong and engaging storyline that keeps the audience hooked until the end.

2. How important is the use of special effects in sci-fi short films?

Special effects can greatly enhance the overall visual impact of a sci-fi short film, but they are not the only factor that makes a film successful. A good story and well-developed characters are still the backbone of a great sci-fi short film.

3. Can sci-fi short films be considered a subgenre of science fiction?

Yes, sci-fi short films are a subgenre of science fiction. They are typically shorter in length and have a more focused storyline compared to feature-length sci-fi films.

4. How do you come up with unique ideas for your sci-fi short films?

As a scientist, I draw inspiration from current scientific advancements, theories, and discoveries. I also explore philosophical and ethical questions related to science and technology, which often lead to unique and interesting ideas for my sci-fi short films.

5. How do you balance scientific accuracy and creative freedom in your sci-fi short films?

As a scientist, I always strive for scientific accuracy in my sci-fi short films. However, I also understand the importance of creative freedom in the genre. I try to strike a balance by conducting thorough research and consulting experts while also allowing room for imagination and creativity.