What are your favorite Musicals?

• Music
  • Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
In summary, I think musicals are great but I do not enjoy them as much as other genres of entertainment. I like some of the songs from the musicals, but I do not enjoy the genre as a whole.
docnet
Gold Member
What are your favorite Musicals? Have you seen any of them in person?

Currently, I love listening to

1. La La Land (2016)
2. Frozen II (2019)
3. West Side Story (1961)

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, 256bits and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
The Music Man

Likes docnet and 256bits
Films

1. On the Town (1949)
2. Guys and Dolls (1955)
3. West Side Story (1961)

The best I've seen on stage was:

The Little Shop of Horrors (2007 at the Menier Chocolate Factory, before it moved to the West End).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menier_Chocolate_Factory

Likes BillTre, docnet, 256bits and 1 other person
docnet said:
What are your favorite Musicals? Have you seen any of them in person?

Currently, I love listening to

1. La La Land (2016)
2. Frozen II (2019)
3. West Side Story (2021)
Great idea for a thread! Saturday afternoon, raining outside 1970s, I'm 8 ish =Old TV film/musical.
This is the film as a whole plus music. In no order

The King and I - 1956
King Creole 1958 ish
Mary Poppins 60s
Sound of music 60s
On the town (who was the third guy? Without googling!)
High Society Frank and Bing
Grease 1978
Singing in the rain 1953 - just for 'Make em laugh' if nothing else. Brilliant.
Edit! How could I forget!?
Jesus Christ Superstar (I saw A version in the 80s Manchester Palace) Film was a disappointment after hearing the Ian Gillan version
Godspel - the film is naff (hippie nonsense) but the music is great
Paul McCartney loved musicals but John hated them - fun fact.
I think Honey Pie and Your mother should know are a tip of the hat to that genre, musical, concert hall/vaudeville.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc, BillTre, docnet and 2 others
I understand nobody has yet mentioned 'Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog' because it goes without saying?

Three of my favorites are West Side Story, Cabaret and Sound of Music, all three because of the music. But there are other good ones, e.g. Grease and a bunch by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I still remember performing "Memory" from "Cats" (by Andrew Lloyd Webber) on piano with a large female choir on school graduation day when I was about 15 years old. Fun, but quite scary. :smile:

• Love
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, docnet and 1 other person
Rocky Horror Picture Show - way back when.
Tommy
All That Jazz

Actually all of those musical films were way back when.

Likes BillTre and docnet

Likes Bystander and pinball1970
Oklahoma
West Side Story
Music Man
Grease

many more ...

Likes Astronuc, docnet and BillTre
docnet said:
Don't have any favorites-- musicals rank near the bottom of my choice for entertainment, along with ballet and opera.

• Sad
Likes PeroK, docnet and Bystander
I guess you all probably missed my 4 performances of South Pacific (in 1970). I was Emil de Becque in the massively critically acclaimed version at my High School. I believe I could still do a walk-on if required. So I am prejudiced. The choir director made me do it (what a great teacher!)

Likes pinball1970, docnet and DennisN
I've enjoyed most of the musicals already listed, but mostly on film.

pinball1970 said:
Jesus Christ Superstar (I saw A version in the 80s Manchester Palace) Film was a disappointment after hearing the Ian Gillan version
Godspel - the film is naff (hippie nonsense) but the music is great
Oklahoma! (1943), film (1955) - in first grade, we learned "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'"
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Hair (1967) - film version (1979) - poignant hippie nonsense about the culture and Vietnam War with great music.

I saw a musical "Snow White" in theatre with my grandmother during the early 1960s. I probably saw the musical before I saw the animated film.

Likes docnet
Astronuc said:
I've enjoyed most of the musicals already listed, but mostly on film.Oklahoma! (1943), film (1955) - in first grade, we learned "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'"
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Hair (1967) - film version (1979) - poignant hippie nonsense about the culture and Vietnam War with great music.

I saw a musical "Snow White" in theatre with my grandmother during the early 1960s. I probably saw the musical before I saw the animated film.
South Pacific was my school memory from that era.
Howard Keels 'Bless your beautiful hide...' 7 Brides, not quite PC today!
Great Xmas films.

Hair had some great tracks including the 5th dimension version of Aquarius.
Good morning star shine another great track.
Even though Ian Gillan is my favourite vocalist I am still drawn to Godspel for writing.
Day by Day, Oh Lord (I'm bleeding) When will the children (something...) I'll have to listen to it now!

Likes docnet and Astronuc
Godspell

Last edited:
Likes docnet and Astronuc
This was my favourite. No idea of the vocals but very nice.

Likes docnet

Likes docnet, Astronuc and hutchphd
ae696eea.jpg

• Haha
Likes Hornbein, PeroK, docnet and 4 others
Mark44 said:
Don't have any favorites-- musicals rank near the bottom of my choice for entertainment, along with ballet and opera.
I've had such a great time looking at this.
You do not like the genre but do you like any of the songs from musicals? There are so many covering different styles, some you may not realize are from musicals.
War of the worlds was concept album in 1978 rather than a theatre live show but now it's a show.
I agree musicals can be as bad as it gets as well, Mamma Mia, Cats, Les Miserables, Lion King etc

Like this live performance. War of the Worlds 1978.
Forever Autumn.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Camelot!

Likes docnet, BillTre and phinds
Or The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

or
The Meaning of Life!

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and docnet
pinball1970 said:
You do not like the genre but do you like any of the songs from musicals?
Generally, no.
pinball1970 said:
War of the worlds was concept album in 1978 rather than a theatre live show but now it's a show.
The original "War of the Worlds" was a radio broadcast in 1938, narrated by Orson Wells, that caused widespread panic. It first appeared as a movie in 1953, with at least one later remake.
pinball1970 said:
Mamma Mia, Cats, Les Miserables, Lion King
I liked some of the ABBA songs back when they were playing on the radio, back in '76 or so, but I would rather hear them done by the original group than in a musical. Les Miz - no, Lion King - no. You didn't mention Jersey Boys - that's a hard no, especially since I wasn't much of a fan of The Four Seasons, Frankie Valle's group.

• Sad
Likes PeroK and docnet
Mark44 said:
The original "War of the Worlds" was a radio broadcast in 1938, narrated by Orson Wells, that caused widespread panic.
The original War of the Worlds was a book by H.G. Wells. Moreover, it's Orson Welles.

The Cage of Asparagus reminds me of:

CAujPQpWQAAcQ9M.jpg

• Haha
Likes *now*, pinball1970, phinds and 2 others
PeroK said:
The original War of the Worlds was a book by H.G. Wells.
Yep, I knew that but neglected to mention it.
PeroK said:
Moreover, it's Orson Welles.
Welle, you can't win 'em all.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, phinds and Bystander
The first music performance I ever attended was South Pacific at Oklahoma University. I was maybe five. I remember it well. The sight of cymbals fascinated me. That never has gone away.

My favorite record back then was The Music Man. We had a cheapo record player with a penny taped to the arm so it wouldn't skip.

No one has mentioned Man of La Mancha. My Dad loved it so much.

It's really too bad that Emilie Autumn's The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls never made it to the stage. This tune takes a while to get started so give it a chance.

Likes pinball1970
Mark44 said:
Yep, I knew that but neglected to mention it.
Welle, you can't win 'em all.
I just did a little checking

The guys who played and Sang on the 1978 Album were an impressive bunch.

1. What is the first musical that comes to mind when you think of your favorites?

As a scientist, it's hard for me to pick just one favorite musical. However, if I had to choose, I would say "Hamilton" is the first one that comes to mind. The combination of history, music, and storytelling in this musical is truly impressive.

2. How do you define a "favorite" musical?

For me, a favorite musical is one that I can watch or listen to multiple times without getting tired of it. It should also have memorable music, compelling characters, and a well-written story.

3. Have your favorite musicals changed over time?

Absolutely! As a scientist, I am always open to new experiences and my taste in musicals has definitely evolved over the years. Some of my current favorites were not even on my radar a few years ago.

4. Are there any lesser-known musicals that you consider to be your favorites?

Definitely! While popular musicals often have widespread appeal, there are many lesser-known gems that I consider to be my favorites. Some examples include "Dear Evan Hansen" and "Waitress".

5. Do you have a favorite musical soundtrack or cast recording?

Yes, I do! I am a big fan of "The Greatest Showman" soundtrack. The songs are so catchy and uplifting, and the cast did an amazing job bringing them to life.