What Can a Mobile Phone Camera Lens Reveal That the Naked Eye Can't?

In summary, a mobile phone camera can pick up reflections of certain colors in a transperant liquid, but it would be difficult to see.
Swepz
Hey guys I am a first timer on PF, and I am very new to the whole physics area but I am starting to find it very interesting :smile:
Ive got a question about the optics of a normal camera lins of a mobile phone that perhaps someone can give me answares about of even point me in a direction.

Question: I am trying to figure out if the camera lins of a mobile phone can pick up specific colors/unique reflections in liquids that are transperant/invisible to the naked eye.
For example 1: if there is a transperant liquid that could be used to make barcode and scanned with a mobile phone. (Not very practical but all i could think of :sorry:)
Example 2: A transperant liquid with a specific color/unique tranperant reflection that is unseen by the naked eye but will still be seen by a normal mobile phone camera.
Just like how a camera phone can pick up IR waves but instead pick up unique tranperant colors or pick up reflections from example a invisible barcode.
Ive tryd using my buddy google about the optic spectrum of a cellphone camera lins but no success :(
Im most likley mixing up the concepts of optics and spectrum or something so try not to be to harsh :frown:

Science news on Phys.org
Swepz said:
Hey guys I am a first timer on PF, and I am very new to the whole physics area but I am starting to find it very interesting :smile:
Ive got a question about the optics of a normal camera lins of a mobile phone that perhaps someone can give me answares about of even point me in a direction.

Question: I am trying to figure out if the camera lins of a mobile phone can pick up specific colors/unique reflections in liquids that are transperant/invisible to the naked eye.
For example 1: if there is a transperant liquid that could be used to make barcode and scanned with a mobile phone. (Not very practical but all i could think of :sorry:)
Example 2: A transperant liquid with a specific color/unique tranperant reflection that is unseen by the naked eye but will still be seen by a normal mobile phone camera.
Just like how a camera phone can pick up IR waves but instead pick up unique tranperant colors or pick up reflections from example a invisible barcode.
Ive tryd using my buddy google about the optic spectrum of a cellphone camera lins but no success :(
Im most likley mixing up the concepts of optics and spectrum or something so try not to be to harsh :frown:
Welcome to the PF.

It sounds like you already know that many phone cameras can pick up IR that our eyes do not see.

Another thing you can use is the sampling frequency of the camera circuitry. If you point it at some monitors, you will see lines rolling through the image -- that is related to beats between the refresh frequency of the display and the sample rate of the camera. As long as you keep the refresh rate of your "invisible" display above the flicker fusion frequency of the human eye, you can pass information to your phone camera by varying the refresh frequency in some way... :smile:

Likes mister mishka and Swepz
Sure, cameras can be made to look in parts of the spectrum not visible to us. CCD arrays are normally sensitive to infra-red. Cameras need to include a filter if they want to block this part out.
Also, computers can also pick out special patterns that we wouldn't necessarily notice, even if they are in our visual range. The image may contain special "watermarks" that have encoded information. The watermarks can be very difficult or impossible to see with the naked eye.

Likes Swepz and berkeman
The lens itself will either block or transmit a particular part of the spectrum, it's the sensor that does all the seeing. I believe cell phone cameras can pick up light that is a little higher and a little lower than the human eye, but only just barely. The difference is relatively small. At the higher end of the spectrum, visible light tuns into UV radiation, which is mostly absorbed by the lens itself. At the lower end, visible light turns into infrared radiation, which is barely picked up by the sensor itself. You typically need specialized equipment to image anything well outside of the visual range.

Likes Swepz
Thanks for the answares guys, its clearing up my head a lil bit :D
So I am starting to move away from the idea about a UV marker that a camera can detect after reading comments.
Only raised more questions tho :D

Seens i got these awesome answares I am gona try to shot a follow up question to get some clearity:
*Question 2.0: If i were to use a liquid that contains molecules of reflective material of different colors would a camera lins be able to pick the reflection up without using the flash?.

Kinda like when the flash from a camera flash hits the photosensitive cells in the retina and causes red eyes when the light bounces of the blood vessels.
(Not 100% about that red eye theory tho :P )

Edit* Found a video about reflective spray paint
but i guess that paints needs the flash from a camera to scan it.

Last edited:
Swepz said:
*Question 2.0: If i were to use a liquid that contains molecules of reflective material of different colors would a camera lins be able to pick the reflection up without using the flash?.

BTW it's lens, not lins

as long as there is enough ambient light, why not ? ... it picks up colours of all other things, doesn't itDave

davenn said:
BTW it's lens, not lins

as long as there is enough ambient light, why not ? ... it picks up colours of all other things, doesn't itDave
''BTW it's lens, not lins'' Sorry its just bad translation from Swedish, which is actually spelled ''lins'' in swedish :D
Thanks for the answer :)

Thanks for the answers guys, really helpful answers that sets my thoughts to ease :)

Swepz said:
''BTW it's lens, not lins'' Sorry its just bad translation from Swedish, which is actually spelled ''lins'' in swedish :D

well there you go, so it is, I learned something new :)

1. How does the camera on my mobile phone work?

The camera on your mobile phone uses a combination of optics and electronics to capture and process images. When you press the shutter button, the camera's lens focuses light onto a sensor, which converts the light into digital signals. These signals are then processed by the phone's software to create an image.

2. What is the role of lenses in a mobile phone camera?

Lenses in a mobile phone camera act as the primary mechanism for focusing light onto the sensor. They are responsible for capturing and directing the light rays onto the sensor in a specific way, which enables the phone to produce clear and focused images.

3. How do different types of lenses affect the quality of mobile phone camera photos?

The type of lens used in a mobile phone camera can greatly impact the quality of photos. For example, a wider angle lens allows for a larger field of view, while a telephoto lens enables zooming in on distant objects. Some phones also use multiple lenses for improved image quality, such as a combination of a wide angle and telephoto lens.

4. How do advancements in optics technology affect mobile phone cameras?

Advancements in optics technology have greatly improved the capabilities of mobile phone cameras. For instance, the use of advanced coatings on lenses can reduce glare and improve image clarity. Additionally, the use of larger sensors and optical image stabilization can enhance low light performance and reduce blurring.

5. How can I improve the quality of my phone's camera photos?

To improve the quality of your phone's camera photos, you can try using different camera settings, such as adjusting the exposure, white balance, and focus. You can also use external lenses or accessories, such as tripods, to further enhance your photos. Keeping your phone's camera lens clean can also greatly improve the overall quality of your photos.