What can I do with an infrared camera?

In summary, the best demonstrations for using an infrared camera are taking pictures of resistors to show i2R heating, heating a chocolate bar in a microwave for a few moments, and measuring the speed of light with a thermocouple.
Taulant Sholla
I just inherited an infrared camera (https://www.flir.com/products/c2/). Other than taking entertaining thermographs (cold ice cube in a warm hand, etc.), can you recommend some clever demonstrations I could show to my fellow calc-based physics students?

The best I came up with is taking a picture of a resistor to show i2R heating as part of our unit on circuits

Then a friend suggested heating a large chocolate bar in a microwave for a few moments, then take a thermograph to identifying the nodes/anti-nodes, and calculating the speed of light. This seems like a fantastic idea!

Do you have any others?

Likes OmCheeto
Science news on Phys.org
Does it take video too? If so, you can see the IR Remote Control signal if you point it at the camera and press buttons. (you can also see that on many smartphone cameras, but less bright)

If you have access to some open circuit boards that are running, you can see which components are the hottest. We use a FLIR camera for that purpose here in our electronics R&D Lab. :smile:

Taulant Sholla said:
I just inherited an infrared camera (https://www.flir.com/products/c2/). Other than taking entertaining thermographs (cold ice cube in a warm hand, etc.), can you recommend some clever demonstrations I could show to my fellow calc-based physics students?

The best I came up with is taking a picture of a resistor to show i2R heating as part of our unit on circuits

Then a friend suggested heating a large chocolate bar in a microwave for a few moments, then take a thermograph to identifying the nodes/anti-nodes, and calculating the speed of light. This seems like a fantastic idea!

Do you have any others?

Cool- it uses the 8-12 um range (LWIR). That's best for 'anthropocentric' hot things- the range of temperatures that we can generally tolerate. Have fun playing around with this!

Here's something to try- I believe a thin sheet of plastic (like a viewgraph) is opaque to this range of wavelengths; you can 'hide' behind one! Likewise, I believe you could 'see' through smoke; try viewing through a smoky BBQ.

DO NOT point it at the sun! DO NOT try and view a CO2 laser!

You could probably walk through a parking lot and determine which cars arrived most recently.

On the 'science' side, leave an assortment of painted, rusted, and polished metal 'coupons' in the sun and after they warm up, see what the camera tells you: the surface paint/polish/rust/etc. changes the emissivity, which will negate the camera calibration (that's the 'emissivity correction' function). The metal parts will seem to have different temperatures optically, but they will have the same temperatures when measured with a thermocouple.

Likes berkeman
These sound *great* Andy - thank you!

If the temperature range is adequate, thermographs are great for troubleshooting.
  • Heating/cooling leaks in houses.
  • Worn bearings on electric motors or wheel bearings on cars.
  • Tire tread temperatures on auto or bicycle tires after a trip.
  • A high resistance junction in any electric circuit inside or outside.
  • Physics demo, sandpaper on wood.
  • Grab a mug with cold or warm water. See if it leaves a hand print for a short time. Will the other hand look the same as the one grabbing?
You could make a very long list.

anorlunda said:
If the temperature range is adequate, thermographs are great for troubleshooting.
  • Heating/cooling leaks in houses.
  • Worn bearings on electric motors or wheel bearings on cars.
  • Tire tread temperatures on auto or bicycle tires after a trip.
  • A high resistance junction in any electric circuit inside or outside.
  • Physics demo, sandpaper on wood.
  • Grab a mug with cold or warm water. See if it leaves a hand print for a short time. Will the other hand look the same as the one grabbing?
You could make a very long list.
Thanks for these suggestions!

berkeman said:
Does it take video too? If so, you can see the IR Remote Control signal if you point it at the camera and press buttons. (you can also see that on many smartphone cameras, but less bright)

If you have access to some open circuit boards that are running, you can see which components are the hottest. We use a FLIR camera for that purpose here in our electronics R&D Lab. :smile:
Great ideas, thank you!

What can I do with an infrared camera?

An infrared camera can be used for a variety of purposes, such as:

How does an infrared camera work?

An infrared camera works by detecting infrared radiation, which is emitted by objects with heat. The camera then converts this radiation into an image that can be seen by the human eye.

What industries use infrared cameras?

Infrared cameras are used in a wide range of industries, including:

• Thermography and building inspections
  • Manufacturing and quality control
  • Medical and healthcare
  • Military and defense
  • Agriculture and farming

Can infrared cameras see through walls?

No, infrared cameras cannot see through walls. They are only able to detect heat signatures on the surface of an object or material.

Are there any safety concerns when using an infrared camera?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using an infrared camera. It is important to properly handle and use the camera to avoid any potential hazards, such as exposure to high levels of infrared radiation. It is also important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when using the camera in certain industries, such as in the medical field or in hazardous environments.