What causes the decrease in lift after passing the critical angle of attack?

In summary, the lift decreases because the boundary layer separates from the surface of the airfoil, leading to a decrease in the pressure difference between the lower and upper surface. This is due to the presence of "dead air" over the surface of the airfoil, resulting in less lift. The pressure on the upper surface is still less than the lower surface, but the difference is not as great, thereby decreasing the lift.
bbillingsley
Hi,
I'm a little confused as to why the lift acting on a body would decrease after the critical angle of attack has been passed. I understand the increase in Drag but i can't help but think that the top of the body would still have less pressure and lift would increase.

As i write this I'm starting to think that it would be because the speed would necessarily decrease from the drag, but I'm still not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The lift decreases because the boundary layer is no longer able to overcome the adverse pressure gradient and it separates from the surface of the airfoil. Once the boundary layer separates there is a large region of what is sometimes referred to as "dead air" over the surface of the airfoil. This "dead air" is a recirculating mass of air that is moving very slowly compared to the air that would be flowing over the surface had the boundary layer remained attached. This leads to increased pressure over the upper surface of the airfoil and a decrease in the pressure difference between the lower and upper surface. This results in less lift.

So you are correct in thinking that the pressure on the upper surface will still be less than the lower surface, however the difference is not as great (because the upper surface pressure has increased) so the lift is not as great.

Okay yeah that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks

Related to What causes the decrease in lift after passing the critical angle of attack?

What is the critical angle of attack?

The critical angle of attack is the angle at which an airfoil or wing generates maximum lift before stalling.

How is the critical angle of attack determined?

The critical angle of attack is determined through testing in wind tunnels or through computational fluid dynamics simulations.

What factors affect the critical angle of attack?

The critical angle of attack is affected by factors such as airfoil shape, wing design, airspeed, and air density.

Why is the critical angle of attack important?

The critical angle of attack is important because it determines the maximum lift that can be generated by an airfoil, which is crucial for proper aircraft performance and control.

What happens if an aircraft exceeds the critical angle of attack?

If an aircraft exceeds the critical angle of attack, it will experience a sudden loss of lift, resulting in a stall and loss of control.