What composition of steel pipe should I use

In summary, the conversation discusses plans to upgrade the Jacket Hanger Racks in an apparel manufacturing warehouse to a rotatable conveyor. The speaker wants to know what type of steel to use for new Steel Pipes that will hold a weight of 200kgs and rotate on a chain conveyor. However, more details are needed to fully specify the problem and ensure the safety and functionality of the system. It is recommended to consult a professional engineer for this project.
Arjun Yadav
Hello, I work in a apparel manufacturing warehouse and I'm planning to upgrade the Jacket Hanger Racks to a rotatable conveyor. So I want to insert new Steel Pipes for hanging the Jackets which will rotate.

So, the length of the pipe is 370 cms / 12' 2", and the weight it will be holding is 200kgs / 440 lbs and the pipe will not be fixed but it will be attached at the ends on a chain conveyor.

So, I want to know what composition or type of steel should I use so that the pipe doesn't bend or break with the load.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem is not fully specified; several things are missing. In particular ---
1) Is the weight uniformly distributed on the rack?
2) how are the racks attached and supported on the chain?
3) how much sag can you tolerate?
4) what risks are involved if the system should fail?
5) the nature of the rotation involved is not clear; a figure is needed
6) etc.
I have a feeling that there is much more to this problem than what has been presented.

Dr.D said:
The problem is not fully specified; several things are missing. In particular ---
1) Is the weight uniformly distributed on the rack?
2) how are the racks attached and supported on the chain?
3) how much sag can you tolerate?
4) what risks are involved if the system should fail?
5) the nature of the rotation involved is not clear; a figure is needed
6) etc.
I have a feeling that there is much more to this problem than what has been presented.
1) yes the weight is uniformly distributed.
2) they will be welded to a metal bracket which will be attached to the chain.
3) i don't think we can tolerate any amount of sag.
4) these are very premium and costly jackets so this system should not fail.
5) the rotation will be in a rectangular shape with four sprockets on each side of the diagonal of the said rectangle of length 459cms and width 85cms.

1) the rack will always be uniformly loaded, never only half loaded or some other fraction? Never bunched up at one end, with the other end completely unloaded.
2) this is an inadequate description of the end conditions.
3) in the real world, there will always be sag. Only in an ideal world would there be no sag.
4) again, in the real world, systems do fail from time to time for various reasons. Does anyone die if it fails? Is anyone injured?
5) it is not clear how we have rotation in a rectangular shape. What plane is the chain in? We really need a picture for this.

I strongly suggest that you engage a competent engineer to design this system for you.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing the composition of steel pipe?

The composition of steel pipe should be chosen based on the specific application and environment in which it will be used. Factors to consider include the required strength and durability, corrosion resistance, and cost.

2. How does the carbon content affect the properties of steel pipe?

The carbon content in steel pipe affects its strength and hardness. A higher carbon content results in a stronger and harder steel, but also makes it more brittle and less ductile. A lower carbon content will make the steel more ductile and easier to weld, but it may also reduce its strength.

3. What is the role of alloying elements in steel pipe composition?

Alloying elements are added to steel to improve its properties, such as strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance. Common alloying elements in steel pipe include manganese, chromium, nickel, and molybdenum.

4. How can I determine the best composition of steel pipe for my project?

The best composition of steel pipe for your project will depend on the specific requirements and conditions. It is important to consult with a materials expert or conduct thorough research to determine the most suitable composition for your application.

5. What are the most common types of steel used for pipes?

The most commonly used types of steel for pipes include carbon steel, stainless steel, and alloy steel. Carbon steel is the most widely used due to its affordability and versatility. Stainless steel is often used in corrosive environments and for its high strength. Alloy steel is used for applications that require a combination of strength and toughness.