What Determines the Direction of Acceleration in Circular Motion?

In summary, my friend and I were discussing circular motion and were confused about the direction of acceleration in that path. Newton's second law states that the acceleration will always be in the same direction as the resultant force, which is towards the center of the circle. The most general circular motion can be described by an angle, and the velocity is always along the tangent of the trajectory. The acceleration has two components, one tangential and one perpendicular, with the latter being the centripetal acceleration. To maintain this motion, the total force must be in the same direction as the perpendicular component, which is known as the centripetal force.
dumbboy340
My friend and i were having a conversation on circular motion and were confused with the direction of acceleration along that circular path.what will be the direction of acceleration of an object which is in circular motion?
Thank$$!

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's second law states that the rate of change of momentum of an object is proportional to the force acting on the object. This means that the acceleration will always be in the same direction as the resultant force. Can you tell me where the centripetal force acts?

PWiz said:
Newton's second law states that the rate of change of momentum of an object is proportional to the force acting on the object. This means that the acceleration will always be in the same direction as the resultant force. Can you tell me where the centripetal force acts?

It pulls the object towards the centre of circular path..

Precisely. Centripetal acceleration always acts towards the center of the circle.

Thanks!

Well, the most general circular motion can be described by an angle ##\phi(t)##. Let the circle be in the origin of the ##xy## plane. Then the trajectory is given by
$$\vec{x}(t)=R \begin{pmatrix} \cos[\phi(t)] \\ \sin [\phi(t)] \end{pmatrix}.$$
Now you have to take the 1st and 2nd time derivatives to get velocity and acceleration:
$$\vec{v}(t)=\dot{\vec{x}}(t)=R \dot{\phi}(t) \begin{pmatrix} -\sin[\phi(t)] \\ \cos[\phi(t)] \end{pmatrix},$$
$$\vec{a}(t)=\dot{\vec{v}}(t)=\ddot{\vec{x}}(t) = R \ddot{\phi}(t) \begin{pmatrix} -\sin[\phi(t)] \\ \cos[\phi(t)] \end{pmatrix}-R \dot{\phi}^2(t) \begin{pmatrix} \cos[\phi(t)] \\ \sin [\phi(t)] \end{pmatrix}.$$
As you see, the velocity is (as for any motion) always pointing along the tangent of the trajectory. The acceleration splits into two parts: The tangential acceleration of magnitude (and sign wrt. the direction of the tangent vector) ##a_{\parallel}=R \ddot{\phi}## and one perpendicular, i.e., along the position vector. The component is ##a_{\perp}=-R \dot{\phi}^2 \leq 0##, which means it's always negative, i.e., directed towards the center. The prependicular component is called centripetal acceleration.

According to Newton's Law to maintain this motion you need the total force
$$\vec{F}=m \vec{a}.$$
The part in direction perpendicular to the trajectory is called centripetal force.

Last edited:

Related to What Determines the Direction of Acceleration in Circular Motion?

What is the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration is the direction in which an object's velocity is changing. It can be in the same direction as the object's motion, in the opposite direction, or at an angle to the direction of motion.

How do you determine the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration is determined by the direction of the net force acting on an object. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, the acceleration is in the same direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the acceleration is in the opposite direction. If the net force is at an angle to the direction of motion, the acceleration is also at an angle to the direction of motion.

Can an object have acceleration without changing its direction?

Yes, an object can have acceleration without changing its direction. This occurs when the net force acting on the object is perpendicular to the direction of motion. In this case, the object's speed will increase or decrease, but its direction of motion remains constant.

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration refers to an increase in an object's velocity, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) refers to a decrease in an object's velocity. In both cases, the direction of acceleration is determined by the direction of the net force acting on the object.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's motion, the object's speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object's speed will decrease. If the acceleration is at an angle to the direction of motion, the object's speed and direction of motion will change accordingly.