What determines the shape of the temperature-entropy graph?

In summary, in a thermo class, the definition of temperature (\frac{1}{T}=\frac{∂S}{∂U}) was formalized by drawing out various combinations of slopes and concavities of the ∂S/∂U graphs. The shape of the graph reflects the material's properties, with the temperature being the slope and the heat capacity being related to the second derivative.
iScience
in my thermo class when we were formalizing the definition of temperature ([itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂S}{∂U}[/itex]), we drew out all the combinations of various slopes and concavities of the ∂S/∂U graphs.

http://imgur.com/cR4V8K8

The shape of this graph i figure should be a reflection of the inherent nature of the material. so, my question is, what properties of the material determines the shape of this graph?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I think the graph should be monotonically increasing since the temperature is the slope. Furthermore, the second derivative should also be considered since it relates to the heat capacity.

Related to What determines the shape of the temperature-entropy graph?

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to temperature?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is related to temperature as an increase in temperature often leads to an increase in the disorder of particles in a system, thus resulting in an increase in entropy.

2. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

Entropy can be decreased locally, but the overall entropy of a closed system will always tend to increase over time. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics.

3. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy can be calculated using the equation S = kBln(W), where S is the entropy, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates (possible arrangements) of a system.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are related through the concept of free energy, which is the amount of energy available to do work. As entropy increases, free energy decreases. Conversely, as entropy decreases, free energy increases.

5. How does entropy affect the behavior of a system?

As the entropy of a system increases, the system tends to become more disordered and chaotic. This can lead to changes in the behavior of the system, such as phase transitions or chemical reactions. In thermodynamics, entropy is also a driving force for processes to occur spontaneously.