What Determines the Size of an Image Formed at Infinity in Magnifiers?

In summary, when an image is formed at infinity, it does not appear infinitely large because it is not exactly at the focus of the lens. Instead, the size of the image is determined by the position and focal length of the lens. In this case, it is easier to use angular magnification rather than linear magnification to characterize the system. The size of the image on the retina is determined by the angle at which the rays enter the eye and the focal length of the eye.
kent davidge
I was reading my physics book and I didnt understand how can a image formed at infinity does not appear to us as infinitely large. The book says that lateral magnification is not valid in this case. So what really defines how large a image is?

Science news on Phys.org
First when we say infinity, it's not exactly "infinity"
It's a large distance from the pole, your object won't be exactly at the focus (practically)
so you won't have " infinitely large".
Infinitely large"- what does that actually mean?
What defines? It's the position and focal length of the mirror.

Yes, but I'm still trying to understand what in our eye determines how large an image will be. I'm showing you a image of the situation that caused my doubt. (sorry my bad english)
11t7bxl.jpg

kent davidge said:
I was reading my physics book and I didnt understand how can a image formed at infinity does not appear to us as infinitely large. The book says that lateral magnification is not valid in this case. So what really defines how large a image is?

In this case (distant objects and/or distant images), it's conceptually easier to use angular magnification rather than linear magnification to characterize the system:

http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/winter2008/physics1c/documents/5.2OpticalInstruments.notes.pdf .

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
kent davidge said:
Yes, but I'm still trying to understand what in our eye determines how large an image will be. I'm showing you a image of the situation that caused my doubt. (sorry my bad english)

Look at the picture on the right. The rays from the top of the inchworm enter the eye at angle θ. The eye then focuses the rays down onto the retina. The size of the image of the inchworm on the retina is determined by the angle at which the rays enter your eye and the focal length of your eye.

1. What is image formation in magnifiers?

Image formation in magnifiers is the process by which a magnifying lens produces a magnified image of an object. This is achieved by bending or refracting light rays as they pass through the lens, resulting in an enlarged and clearer image of the object.

2. How does the magnifying power of a magnifier affect image formation?

The magnifying power of a magnifier is directly related to the size of the image that is formed. The higher the magnifying power, the larger the image will appear. However, a higher magnifying power also means a smaller field of view and a shorter focal length, which can affect image clarity and distortion.

3. What is the difference between a simple magnifier and a compound magnifier in terms of image formation?

A simple magnifier, also known as a single lens magnifier, uses only one lens to magnify an image. The image formed is virtual, upright, and enlarged. On the other hand, a compound magnifier uses multiple lenses to magnify an image. The final image formed is inverted and can be either real or virtual, depending on the arrangement of the lenses.

4. How does the distance between the lens and the object affect image formation in a magnifier?

The distance between the lens and the object, also known as the object distance, affects the size and clarity of the image formed. As the object distance decreases, the image size increases, but the image may become distorted or blurry. On the other hand, a larger object distance results in a smaller image, but with better clarity.

5. What are some factors that can affect image formation in magnifiers?

There are several factors that can affect image formation in magnifiers, including the quality and shape of the lens, the magnifying power, the distance between the lens and the object, and the lighting conditions. These factors can impact the size, clarity, and distortion of the image formed by the magnifier.