What Determines the Value of km in Magnetic Field Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of km in various magnetic equations, such as Biot-Savart and for a long straight wire. Km is a constant that represents the magnetic constant, μ0. The value of μ0 is chosen to make the unit of current equal to the ampere in the emu system. The difference in the stated formulas is due to the distance from the wire being different in each case. Km is a constant and not a variable, and it is used to make magnetic relations look like Coulomb's Law.
origamipro
For a moving charge is km = μ0/2pi or is km = μ0/4pi?

examples:
Biot-Savart (magnetic field dB at a point P due to a length element ds that carrues a steady current I is:
dB = (μ0/4pi) (I ds x r) / r^2

While for an long straight wire, (≥10m?)
B = (μ0 I)/(2pi r)

What is the different use 4pi when length is less than 10meters?

wikipedia says that km is
"In another system, the "rationalized-metre-kilogram-second (rmks) system" (or alternatively the "metre-kilogram-second-ampere (mksa) system"), km is written as μ0/2π, where μ0 is a measurement-system constant called the "magnetic constant".[12] The value of μ0 was chosen such that the rmks unit of current is equal in size to the ampere in the emu system: μ0 is defined to be 4π × 10−7 N A−2.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_constant

However in my notes from class I have Km = 1E-7 as well as Km = 2E-7.

Which do i use for a charge particle. And why the difference in the stated formulas? is it the distance?

Km is suppose to be a constant not a variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Biot-Savart is telling you the relationship you need.

It is the contribution to the magnetic field from an infinitesimal length of wire.
The other one (>10m you say) is actualy the result of doing the calculation for an infinite length of wire.
It is a good approximation where the distance from the wire is very small compared with the length of the wire.

The ##\mu_0## I know is usually referred to as "the permiability of free space".
Looking up "magnetic constant" and everyone says this is ##\mu_0## - including your reference.

The ##k_m## is an attempt to make magnetic relations look like Coulombs Law.
Like the wiki article says, there were many definitions, which basically sets the units for current, and the SI system settled on one. If $$F=k_m\frac{I^2}{r}$$ then $$k_m = \frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}$$ in SI units.

This will be consistent with the Biot Savart Law - once you've done the calculus.

Likes 1 person

Related to What Determines the Value of km in Magnetic Field Calculations?

1. What is the magnetic field constant km?

The magnetic field constant km, also known as the magnetic permeability of free space, is a physical constant that represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol μ0 and has a value of approximately 4π x 10^-7 H/m.

2. How is the magnetic field constant km measured?

The magnetic field constant km is measured using a device called a permeameter. This device measures the magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength of a material and uses these values to calculate the magnetic permeability.

3. What is the importance of the magnetic field constant km?

The magnetic field constant km is important in understanding and calculating the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with materials. It is used in many equations in electromagnetism, such as Ampere's law and Faraday's law, to determine the strength and direction of magnetic fields.

4. Is the magnetic field constant km a universal constant?

Yes, the magnetic field constant km is considered a universal constant because its value does not change in different locations or under different conditions. It is a fundamental constant of nature, similar to the speed of light and the gravitational constant.

5. How is the magnetic field constant km related to the speed of light?

The magnetic field constant km and the speed of light, c, are related through the equation μ0 = 1/ε0c^2, where ε0 is the electric constant. This relationship shows that the magnetic field constant km is directly proportional to the speed of light squared, indicating the close connection between electromagnetism and the speed of light.