What do NukeE consulting jobs pay these days?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential for a nuclear engineering student to make a lot of money with a Ph.D. in the field, but also highlighted the challenges and limitations of the industry. There is a generation gap in the field, with older engineers having built the current plants and newer engineers seeing opportunities for growth. However, there is still a stigma around nuclear energy and getting permission to build new plants requires patience and perseverance. The conversation also mentioned that getting into finance or consulting may be more lucrative options. The potential for making money with a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering was also discussed, with a focus on research in fusion materials or materials for aging and corrosion mitigation in LWRs. Finally, the conversation ended with a suggestion to move
TheNE
Just curious. I am getting my B.S. in NukeE this December from Missouri S&T, and going immediately back for my Ph.D. I would like to make ridiculous amounts of money with a future Ph.D, if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck with that. I'm not sure what "ridiculous amounts of money" means. If you mean getting vastly underpaid, that can happen real easily.

Nuclear engineering is a field where there is a huge generation gap. There are the old timers who build the plants we have today. And then there are the new-comers who see new opportunities. The problem with the new opportunities is that while people hardly notice the tons of carbon dioxide and pollutants emerging from the stacks of coal fired power plants, they get irrationally scared of nuclear radiation, fearing that their kids will turn out funny or that it might go boom.

Getting permission to build even a small scale plant is going to require a great deal of patience and perseverance. But maybe you have that kind of patience and perseverance. If you do, then perhaps you can some day make ridiculous amounts of money.

Likes MathewsMD and e.bar.goum
What skill do you think you will have that will cause a business to believe it would rather have access to that than a ridiculous amount of money in the bank?

JakeBrodskyPE said:
I'm not sure what "ridiculous amounts of money" means. If you mean getting vastly underpaid, that can happen real easily.

This is one of the best quotes I've seen on Physics Forums.

Likes Derek Rodrigues
TheNE said:
Just curious. I am getting my B.S. in NukeE this December from Missouri S&T, and going immediately back for my Ph.D. I would like to make ridiculous amounts of money with a future Ph.D, if possible.
Not without experience. Even with a PhD, one would still be new in industry, and only if one had a substantial contribution to the profession would one command a substantial salary. I've seen PhDs work in industry for some years and then go out on their own and start a company, or companies. A number have done quite well.

The R&D area is pretty much saturated at the moment. The large corporations have sufficient staff, and the 'nuclear renaissance' didn't take off as hoped. There are smaller corporations working on novel designs, e.g., small modular reactors (SMRs), but they are mostly adapting existing technology.

Also, if one is employed at a company, that company owns the IP one develops.

If you want to make "ridiculous" amounts of money, assuming that means "vast quantities of", then go into finance.

GraphicsGuy said:
This website should give you some info:

http://www.nucleargraduates.com/

I wouldn't show OP a UK engineering salary, it'll scare him off.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Good luck with that. I'm not sure what "ridiculous amounts of money" means. If you mean getting vastly underpaid, that can happen real easily.

Nuclear engineering is a field where there is a huge generation gap. There are the old timers who build the plants we have today. And then there are the new-comers who see new opportunities. The problem with the new opportunities is that while people hardly notice the tons of carbon dioxide and pollutants emerging from the stacks of coal fired power plants, they get irrationally scared of nuclear radiation, fearing that their kids will turn out funny or that it might go boom.

Getting permission to build even a small scale plant is going to require a great deal of patience and perseverance. But maybe you have that kind of patience and perseverance. If you do, then perhaps you can some day make ridiculous amounts of money.
I was thinking along the line of easily $100k+ (hopefully). I want to get into investments in the not too distant future (venture capital). I figure that if I can split a couple septillion atoms, I could make wise investments with money I have saved up over the course of working as a NukeE. Consulting sounds very attractive with respect to salary, but DOES require a substantial amount of industry experience and expertise. I will be working under a materials professor. I was contemplating two routes for my Ph.D. Either fusion materials (or general plasma materials research), or materials research towards the ageing/corrosion mitigation of LWRs in the US (I have been doing undergrad research for 2+ years on a NRC grant towards educating NukeE students on these concepts). If I go "balls-deep" into the field of corrosion and ageing mitigation of LWRs (wouldn't companies just hire metallurgy engineers for this?) do you think I could expect a decent outcome? Thanks for the input, everyone.

TheNE said:
I was contemplating two routes for my Ph.D. Either fusion materials (or general plasma materials research), or materials research towards the ageing/corrosion mitigation of LWRs in the US (I have been doing undergrad research for 2+ years on a NRC grant towards educating NukeE students on these concepts). If I go "balls-deep" into the field of corrosion and ageing mitigation of LWRs (wouldn't companies just hire metallurgy engineers for this?) do you think I could expect a decent outcome? Thanks for the input, everyone.
Most metallurgists would be missing courses on radiation effects in materials. Life extension and material characterization are big topics these days. The effects of neutron, beta and gamma radiation on structural materials would be common to fusion systems as well as LWRs, however, fusion systems generally use different alloys. The materials in current LWRs are more or less fixed, e.g., the pressure vessel and core supporting structures are not likely to be replaced. Reactor vessel heads and the upper structures can be replaced, but at considerable cost.

http://www.energy.gov/ne/nuclear-re...ght-water-reactor-sustainability-lwrs-program

move to california and get a regular engineering job, work your way up and you will be making more than 100k without the need for a phd

Astronuc said:
Most metallurgists would be missing courses on radiation effects in materials. Life extension and material characterization are big topics these days. The effects of neutron, beta and gamma radiation on structural materials would be common to fusion systems as well as LWRs, however, fusion systems generally use different alloys. The materials in current LWRs are more or less fixed, e.g., the pressure vessel and core supporting structures are not likely to be replaced. Reactor vessel heads and the upper structures can be replaced, but at considerable cost.

http://www.energy.gov/ne/nuclear-re...ght-water-reactor-sustainability-lwrs-program
Are there many opportunities (ideally several upon graduation for me to apply to) for NukeEs with research experience on radiation effects on materials? Do you have any idea what a realistic expectation for a Ph.D starting salary would be? I have not really examined the job market for materials-oriented NukeEs.

1. What is the average salary for NukeE consulting jobs?

The average salary for NukeE consulting jobs varies depending on factors such as location, experience, and specific job roles. However, according to Glassdoor, the average salary for a NukeE consultant in the United States is around $96,000 per year.

2. Do NukeE consulting jobs offer any additional benefits or bonuses?

Many NukeE consulting jobs do offer additional benefits and bonuses, such as healthcare benefits, retirement plans, and performance-based bonuses. It is important to research and negotiate these benefits with the employer before accepting a job offer.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications required for NukeE consulting jobs?

Most NukeE consulting jobs require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require specific certifications or experience with certain software or technologies. It is important to carefully review the job requirements before applying.

4. How does the salary for NukeE consulting jobs compare to other engineering positions?

The salary for NukeE consulting jobs is typically on par with other engineering positions. However, it may vary depending on the specific job role and industry. It is important to research and compare salaries for similar positions in your area to get a better understanding of the market rate.

5. Can NukeE consulting jobs offer opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries?

Yes, NukeE consulting jobs can offer opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries. With experience and continued education, NukeE consultants can advance to higher positions such as project managers or technical experts, which often come with higher salaries.