What do the primes mean in this differential equation?

In summary, The conversation is about a reader discussing a differential equation in an old book titled 'Mathematics of classical and quantum physics'. The reader is confused by the notation used in the solution and asks for clarification. Other users explain that the notation is not outdated and that the primes and dummy variable are used to make the equation make sense. The reader thanks them for their explanation.
FredericGos
Hi,

I'm reading an old book titled 'Mathematics of classical and quantum physics' by byron & fuller. It's quite nice, but some of the notation confuses me.

On page 388, they're showing a simple differential equation:

[tex]-i\frac{dy}{dx}=f(x)[/tex]

fine, but then they write the solution (given the initial condition y(a)=y0) as:

[tex]y(x) = y0 + i\int_a^x f(x')dx'[/tex]

These primes don't make any sense to me. What's up? Especially the one on the differential.
I would just have written the same thing without the primes.

I exspect this to be some kind of outdated notation, but it could also be that it just is something I've never seen. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

thx
Frederic

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it's just another way to say [tex]y(x)=y(0)+i\int f(x) dx[/tex].

That x' is just a dummy variable. The only difference between this text and a more modern one is that the more modern text will use greek letters:

[tex]y(x) = y_0 + i\int_a^x f(\xi)d\xi[/tex]

The notation isn't outdated. The integral needs to be a function of x in order to make the equation make sense, and so the upper limit is x. Then, x' is a dummy variable-- this can really be anything you like (apart from x!).

Thx guys, of course! I get it now. :)

Related to What do the primes mean in this differential equation?

1. What are prime numbers and how are they used in differential equations?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. In differential equations, prime numbers are used to represent the number of distinct solutions to the equation.

2. How do prime numbers affect the behavior of a differential equation?

The presence of prime numbers in a differential equation can greatly impact its behavior. For example, a large prime number can lead to chaotic behavior, while a small prime number can result in a more stable and predictable solution.

3. Do prime numbers have a specific meaning or significance in differential equations?

Prime numbers do not have a specific meaning or significance in differential equations, but their presence can provide important information about the behavior of the equation and its solutions.

4. Can prime numbers be used to solve differential equations?

While prime numbers play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a differential equation, they cannot be used to directly solve the equation. Other mathematical techniques and methods are needed to find the solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of prime numbers in differential equations?

Yes, prime numbers have numerous real-world applications in differential equations. For example, they are used in cryptography and coding theory, as well as in the study of chaotic systems in physics and biology.