What does function mean in mathematics?

In summary: One of the "requirements" for a function is that it must be well-defined. That is, for every element in the domain (input) there must be exactly one element in the codomain (output). If the domain is the set of real numbers, and the codomain is the set of real numbers, then the function is well-defined if each real number in the domain has exactly one real number in the codomain. If the domain is the set of real numbers, and the codomain is the set of complex numbers, then the function is well-defined if each real number in the domain has exactly one complex number in the codomain. So, if we are talking about one-to-one functions, then the codomain
abhijath
The distance covered by a car at time t=0 is 0 / at time t= 1 is 10 km/ at time t= 5 is 50 km,

With this example can you explain, what is function of what? f(d) or f(t),

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The question does not make sense.

Distance as function of time can be formulated as function, time as function of distance can be written down as a function as well.
We can also find your post count as function of time, which should be 1 as you posted here, @Greg Bernhardt can check what happened.

At a given time, the automobile will be at a specific distance at any time so distance, d, will be a function of time, t. If it happens that the automobile continues in a straight line so it is never at the same distance for two different times, then time, t, is also a function of distance, d.

Likes Ocata
HallsofIvy said:
At a given time, the automobile will be at a specific distance at any time so distance, d, will be a function of time, t. If it happens that the automobile continues in a straight line so it is never at the same distance for two different times, then time, t, is also a function of distance, d.
thanks for your reply sir,

ok so it means that d=f(t) and also t=f(d), now as you said if distance is never same for two different times then t=f(d), but wat if the car comes to halt at time t=6, wether still time can be said as function of distance t=f(d)?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to read your posts.

You should not use the same name ("f") for two different functions.
abhijath said:
but wat if the car comes to halt at time t=6, wether still time can be said as function of distance t=f(d)?
No, as the distance is the same for two different points in time.

Likes Guapa
You titled this "What does function mean in mathematics so I was using a mathematical definition of "function"- a set of ordered pairs, {(x, y)}, such that no two different pairs have the same "x"- that is (3, 4) and (3, 5) could not appear in the same function. If we write y= f(x) we want to have some way of determining what y must be for any given x. We cannot have f(3)= 4 and f(3)= 5 (though we might well have f(3)= 5 and f(4)= 5).

You might have the functions mixed up. If you want to choose a time and see what the distance will be, the function will look like this d = f(t). If you want to choose a distance and see what the time will be, the function will look like this: t = f(d) or f(d) = t. Same thing.

For instance, with your original example, your function is probably: d = f(t), where f(t) = 10t, so you have [d = f(t)] => [1 = 10(0)] => [10 = 10(1)] => [50 = 10(5)]

for choosing a distance and finding what the time will be:

[d = 10t] => [d/10 = t], so the function will be: [g(d) = t] => [(1/10)d = t] => [(1/10)50 = 5] => [(1/10)10 = 1] => and then you do the same thing to find the time when the distance is zero by plugging in 0 for d in the g function => g(0) = 0

Likes Guapa
In complex analysis there are multi-valued functions. So there seems to be a conflict in the terminology.

Edwin McCravy said:
In complex analysis there are multi-valued functions. So there seems to be a conflict in the terminology.

According to WP, a misnomer (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivalued_function.)

'In the strict sense, a "well-defined" function associates one, and only one, output to any particular input. The term "multivalued function" is, therefore, a misnomer because functions are single-valued.'

But it also suggests the term has fallen out of use.

'The practice of allowing function in mathematics to mean also multivalued function dropped out of usage at some point in the first half of the twentieth century. Some evolution can be seen in different editions of A Course of Pure Mathematics by G. H. Hardy, for example. It probably persisted longest in the theory of special functions, for its occasional convenience.'

You can find a proper function for every multivalued function if you set its codomain to the powerset instead of the original set.
As an example, for the complex logarithm you would get ln(1)= {0, 2pi i, - 2 pi i, ... }.

Likes aikismos
Thanks. I like that idea of considering the set of all possible outputs as a single output. I studied complex analysis years ago before mathematicians were concerned with such as that. This was back when topology was rubber-sheet geometry, and 1 was considered prime. (Yes I'm old!) :)

Edwin McCravy said:
Yes, but the question was clearly referring to real numbers

From what I can find online, a function is a relation from a set of inputs (the domain) to a set of possible outputs (the codomain) where each input is related to exactly one output. I can find no mention of any requirement that the inputs and outputs of a function must necessarily be real numbers (or even numbers at all!) What about the "range"? Is the range necessarily the same as, or only a subset of, the codomain?) One professor I had in grad school back in the 60's always spoke of "the set of departures" and "the set of arrivals". I only taught undergraduate mathematics, col alg, trig, discrete, three calculi and diffy-Q, so all this extreme precision in terminology was no big deal. I often wonder who gets to decide mathematical terminology anyway, or is it really cut-and-dried?

Edwin McCravy said:
I can find no mention of any requirement that the inputs and outputs of a function must necessarily be real numbers (or even numbers at all!)
They don't have to be, but times and distances (see post 1) are usuallly expressed with real numbers.
Edwin McCravy said:
What about the "range"? Is the range necessarily the same as, or only a subset of, the codomain?)
It can be a (nontrivial) subset.
Edwin McCravy said:
I often wonder who gets to decide mathematical terminology anyway, or is it really cut-and-dried?
Community consensus.

Related to What does function mean in mathematics?

1. What is the definition of function in mathematics?

A function in mathematics is a rule that assigns every element in one set, called the domain, to exactly one element in another set, called the range. It can also be thought of as a mathematical relationship between two sets of numbers.

2. How do you represent a function mathematically?

A function can be represented mathematically in several ways, including algebraically with a formula or equation, graphically with a plot of points, or verbally with a description of how the input values are related to the output values.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function is a type of function where the output values change at a constant rate as the input values change. In contrast, a nonlinear function does not have a constant rate of change and can take on a variety of shapes when graphed.

4. How can you determine if a relationship is a function?

To determine if a relationship is a function, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line can be drawn through the graph and only intersects in one point, then the relationship is a function. Additionally, you can check if each input value has only one corresponding output value.

5. What is the purpose of using functions in mathematics?

Functions are used in mathematics to model and describe real-world phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems. They also allow for efficient and organized representation of mathematical relationships and can be manipulated to analyze and understand complex systems.