What does î(o) represent in vectors?

In summary, the conversation discussed the notation of î(o) and its potential meaning as a unit vector making an angle of 0 degrees with the x-axis. It was mentioned that this notation originated from quaternion notation and was later simplified into vector notation. The need for context and proper definitions when using this notation was also emphasized.
Kavya Chopra
This problem is fairly objective (though quite stupid)
What does î(o) represent?
Does it refer to a vector making angle 0 degrees with the x axis?
I searched but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Please help.

Moderator note: post edited and moved from hoemwork

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide some context where you've seen this notation used?

Can you provide some context here? What book or video used this notation?

My guess would be the i represents the unit vector in th x direction and the 0 represents the x component of the vector. Similarly for y using j and z using k.

The notation came initially from quaternion notation. Quaternions were extensions of complex numbers into 3 dimensions. When Gibbs and others decided that quaternion math was useful but overly complicated they extracted out the useful part to make vectors and kept the ijk notation.

Likes scottdave
Kavya Chopra said:
What does î(o) represent?
Did you mean î(o) or ##i^0\,##? And is it an o or a 0?

Î(o). o not 0.

gneill said:
Can you provide some context where you've seen this notation used?
I came across this while I was doing some questions on vectors.

In general, these types of notation need to be defined in the document or book that they appear in. There is no standard meaning of the notation. If the document/book is well done, there will be a summary of notation somewhere. Otherwise, you are forced to scan through the preceding text and try to spot the definition. I always hated the books that required that.

Likes jedishrfu
I see. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the meaning of the vectors symbol?

The vectors symbol is used in mathematics and physics to represent a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction.

2. How is a vector represented?

A vector is typically represented by a bold letter, such as v, or by placing an arrow on top of the letter, such as → v. It can also be represented by its components, which are the magnitude of the vector in each dimension.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar because it only has magnitude.

4. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and dot product, to solve problems and make predictions.

5. Can vectors have negative values?

Yes, vectors can have negative values. The negative sign indicates the direction of the vector, not its magnitude. For example, a velocity vector of -10 m/s indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction at a speed of 10 m/s.