What does magnetically sealed possibly mean?

Maximum7
I remember one of my favorite parts of the original Star Wars movie was when Luke, Leia, Chewie and Han jump into the trash compactor. Han tries to blast his way out and the blaster bolt ricochets off the walls of the compactor until it eventually hits a piece of garbage. Luke screams “WILL YOU STOP THAT. I ALREADY TRIED. ITS MAGNETICALLY SEALED”.

Can a magnetized surface deflect a bolt of plasma wrapped in a containment field? Because that’s what Star Wars sources say a blaster bolt is.

Physics news on Phys.org
"You shall not pass", just different lore. Same magic.

Likes Vanadium 50, Algr and russ_watters
Maximum7 said:
Can a magnetized surface deflect a bolt of plasma wrapped in a containment field?
Can a magnetic field deflect a plasma? Pew, pew, pew!

1706892801719.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...nerated-by-the-superconducting_fig1_352536839

Likes BillTre
Maximum7 said:
Maximum7 said:

What does magnetically sealed possibly mean?​

Uh ... it probably means you're watching a movie that is not fact-based. :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50 and BillTre
You keep trying to find consistent science in Star Wars. It isn't there. It's just 1950s military tech with glowy SFX on top of it and some wizards with swords, also with glowy SFX, and a lot of fanboys who like to make-believe that it's more coherent than it is.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But the point of the line is to establish that they can't shoot their way out while drawing your attention to a door that will let them out when the peril scene has passed. Detailed physics does not enter in to it.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Rive
Yep. Star Wats is exactly that special kind of lore which gets worse with any science cramped into it.
Just keep it as-is. It's better that way.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
berkeman said:
Can a magnetic field deflect a plasma? Pew, pew, pew!

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...nerated-by-the-superconducting_fig1_352536839

Ah yes, the garbage compactor doubles as a fusion reactor because they both... compress things? Sure. :/

My own head canon is that in the Star Wars universe, at some point technology got so advanced that people couldn't deal with it anymore and there was a collapse/revolt like in ancient greece. So now all these old factories exist can can be refurbished, but no one really knows how anything works, so technology stagnates or even declines over time. This also explains why there are no superintelligent droids that can outthink everyone.

Likes Nik_2213 and BillTre
Walls are magnetically sealed ? Yet-another hasty invocation of 'Handwavium' to plug gaping plot-hole...

My beloved wife complained I totally ruined her enjoyment by giggling at each such...

My favorite part of that scene is when Chewbacca pushes on the wall to "no avail" it is pretty clear he's moving the wall, or at least slowing it down.

Probably was tough to film that on the budget they had.

Akin to early ST, where the sliding doors' 'SHOOF !' was not the door, but actor's prompt to prop handler(s) sat behind scenery to manually hoik it open...
Until, so 'Urban Legend' holds, a sliding-door company noticed and, after they stopped giggling, crafted the real thing...
I must wonder how long it took before actors shed the old habit...