What does steady state mean for a pendulum?

In summary, the concept of "steady state" varies between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics. In the case of a pendulum, steady state refers to a state of simple harmonic motion where the velocity is zero and the system has reached a point of equilibrium after any initial transients have died out.
Marchionni
Hi there.

I am working on some exercises where they ask about the steady state of a pendulum. I have had quantum mechanics, where the steady state meant a time independence. But I don't really see what this means for a pendulum. Is it steady when it's velocity is zero so there is no time dependence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a driven pendulum? If so, steady state means "after the transients have died out."

Likes vanhees71
Marchionni said:
Hi there.

I am working on some exercises where they ask about the steady state of a pendulum. I have had quantum mechanics, where the steady state meant a time independence. But I don't really see what this means for a pendulum. Is it steady when it's velocity is zero so there is no time dependence?
Even in quantum mechanics, a "steady state" is not a state that is time independent (it is a state that is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, i.e. it has a time dependence of the form ##e^{-i Et/\hbar}##.). To add to what kuruman said, steady state here means that the pendulum is following simple harmonic motion (with properties determined both by the eternal force and by the properties of the pendulum, the mass and spring constant).

1. What is the steady state of a pendulum?

The steady state of a pendulum is the state in which the pendulum is at rest, with no external forces acting upon it, and is in a state of stable equilibrium.

2. How is the steady state of a pendulum achieved?

The steady state of a pendulum is achieved when the pendulum's oscillations become synchronized with the natural frequency of the pendulum, resulting in a constant swinging motion.

3. What factors affect the steady state of a pendulum?

The steady state of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. The force of gravity and air resistance also play a role in the pendulum's steady state.

4. What is the significance of the steady state of a pendulum?

The steady state of a pendulum is important in understanding the principles of oscillations and resonance. It is also used in various applications, such as timekeeping devices and seismometers.

5. Can the steady state of a pendulum be altered?

Yes, the steady state of a pendulum can be altered by changing the factors that affect it, such as the length or mass of the pendulum. External forces, such as pushing or pulling the pendulum, can also alter its steady state.