What does this math symbol mean? R^4 |X SL(2,C)

It's like the real numbers, where you can always sort the rational numbers to the left of the decimal point.In summary, the semidirect product of the groups ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## is written as ##ISL(2,\mathbb{C}) = \mathbb{R}^4 \ltimes SL(2,\mathbb{C})##, where ##\mathbb{R}^4## is an abelian normal subgroup. This notation can also be written as ##ISL(2,\mathbb{C}) = \mathbb{R}^4 \rtimes SL(2,\mathbb{C})##
pellman
It is an X like in a cross product but with a vertical line connecting upper-left and lower-left endpoints. I will write it as |X . Example context:

R^4 |X SL(2,C)

where the R and C are real numbers and complex numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means the semidirect product of the groups ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## where the latter is a normal subgroup of it, i.e. the former operates on the latter.

Likes pellman
fresh_42 said:
It means the semidirect product of the groups ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## where the latter is a normal subgroup of it, i.e. the former operates on the latter.

Thanks so much.

But I don't know how the operation goes. Often it is a conjugation, but ##\mathbb{R}^4## is additive and ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## multiplicative. So maybe in this case the Euclidean space is the normal subgroup, because not all authors follow the rule:
$$
K \leq G = H \ltimes K \trianglerighteq H
$$
Some use it the other way around. In any case is it important how the group multiplication is defined to see which one is the normal one.

pellman said:
It is an X like in a cross product but with a vertical line connecting upper-left and lower-left endpoints. I will write it as |X . Example context:

R^4 |X SL(2,C)

fresh_42 said:
But I don't know how the operation goes. Often it is a conjugation, but ##\mathbb{R}^4## is additive and ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## multiplicative. So maybe in this case the Euclidean space is the normal subgroup, because not all authors follow the rule:
$$
K \leq G = H \ltimes K \trianglerighteq H
$$
Some use it the other way around. In any case is it important how the group multiplication is defined to see which one is the normal one.

Well, the inhomogenous ##\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C})## is the semidirect product of ##(\mathbb{R}^4, +)## and ##(\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}),\cdot)##, where + stands for the addition of 4-tuples of real numbers and the dot stands for matrix multiplication. The group ##(\mathbb{R}^4, +)## is an abelian normal subgroup of the semidirect product group.

More precisely:

$$\text{ISL}(2,\mathbb{C}) := \mathbb{R}^4 \ltimes \text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}) =\left\{ (x,A), x\in\mathbb{R}^4, A \in\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}) | (x.A) \ltimes (y,B) = (x+A \star b, A \cdot B), \forall x,y\in\mathbb{R}^4, \forall A,B\in\text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C})\right\} $$

$$ (\mathbb{R}^4, +) \trianglerighteq \text{ISL}(2,\mathbb{C}) $$

The ## A \star b ## is the action of ## \text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}) ## on the 4D-Minkowski spacetime defined by a matrix representation of the restricted Lorentz group (## A\in \text{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}) \mapsto \bf{\Lambda}_{A} \in \mathcal{L}_{+}^{\uparrow} ##).

pellman said:

R^4 |X SL(2,C)

Try:

http://detexify.kirelabs.org/symbols.html

This is what I meant by my second post: If ##\mathbb{R}^4 \trianglelefteq ISL(2,\mathbb{C})##, then it would be better to write ##ISL(2,\mathbb{C}) = \mathbb{R}^4 \rtimes SL(2,\mathbb{C})## but unfortunately not all authors follow this convention, which means the easy mnemonic that ##\rtimes \Leftrightarrow \geq + \trianglelefteq ## doesn't work in those cases. Therefore the automorphism has to be mentioned, because there are a lot of unspoken conventions involved here. Theoretically, i.e. I haven't checked whether it is impossible, there could be a multiplication which makes ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## the normal and ##\mathbb{R}^4## the ordinary subgroup. If I had to bet, I'd say it is possible, because I know of a proper semidirect product of the two-dimensional non-Abelian Lie algebra with ##\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})## where ##\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})## is the ideal. It should be integrable to the groups.

I have been looking at some definitions of semidirect product online and many of them start with suppose that G is a group with subgroups H and N where N is a normal subgroup and G = HN.

What does HN mean? I've never come across that notation in the physics literature.

pellman said:
I have been looking at some definitions of semidirect product online and many of them start with suppose that G is a group with subgroups H and N where N is a normal subgroup and G = HN.

What does HN mean? I've never come across that notation in the physics literature.
It means, you can write the elements ##g\in G## as ##g=h \cdot n## with ##h\in H , n\in N##. This doesn't need to be unique, any product will do. It is the group generated by all elements of ##H## and ##N##. Since ##N## is normal, you can always sort ##N## to the right.

1. What is the meaning of the symbol 'R^4' in mathematics?

The symbol 'R^4' represents the set of all ordered quadruples of real numbers. It is known as the Cartesian product of four copies of the real number line. Essentially, it is a four-dimensional space where each point is represented by four coordinates.

2. What does the vertical bar '|' in mathematics indicate?

The vertical bar '|' is often used in mathematics to denote "such that" or "given that". In the context of the symbol 'R^4 |X SL(2,C)', it is read as "the set of all ordered quadruples of real numbers such that they are multiplied by an element in the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices."

3. What is the meaning of 'SL(2,C)' in the given math symbol?

'SL(2,C)' represents the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices. This group consists of all 2x2 matrices with complex entries and a determinant of 1. It is often used in linear algebra and group theory to study transformations and symmetries in mathematical structures.

4. How is the symbol 'X' used in the given math expression?

In the context of 'R^4 |X SL(2,C)', the symbol 'X' is used to denote the Cartesian product, or direct product, of two sets. In this case, it represents the set of all possible combinations of elements from the set of ordered quadruples of real numbers and the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices.

5. What is the significance of 'C' in the last part of the given math symbol?

'C' in the expression 'SL(2,C)' refers to the set of complex numbers. It is used to specify the type of elements that make up the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices. This group is different from the special linear group of 2x2 real matrices, denoted as 'SL(2,R)', which consists of matrices with real entries and a determinant of 1.