What does this sum symbol mean?

In summary, the expression $\sum_{i=1}^3 2 i = 12$ means that the numbers 2i will be added to itself 3 times, starting from 2 and ending with 6, resulting in a final sum of 12. The symbol \sum represents summation, with the lower and upper limits determining the range of values to be added.
shamieh
$\sum_{i=1}^3 2 i = 12$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi shamieh,

$$\sum_{i=1}^{n=3} 2 i = 2\sum_{i}^{n=3}i=2\cdot \frac{n(n+1)}{2}=2\cdot \frac{3\cdot 4}{2}=12$$

Hello, shamieh!

Exactly what is the question?

$\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^3 2 i = 12$

$\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^3 2i \;=\;2(1) + 2(2) + 2(3) \;=\;2 + 4 + 6 \;=\;12$

Yes, it's true . . .

Out of curiosity, what is the thread title supposed to mean?

shamieh said:
$\sum_{i=1}^3 2 i = 12$

Someone might have told the thread-starter that the symbol \(\displaystyle \sum\) means summation. But, he/she might have not understood what it is. Assuming my assumption to be correct, I am telling the thread-starter what \(\displaystyle \sum\) means.

For example, if you are given \(\displaystyle \sum_{x=0}^{5}3x+5\), here 0 is called the lower limit and 5 is called the upper limit. It means that the expression 3x+5 will be added to itself 6 times changing the value of x every time starting from the lower limit and ending with the upper limit.
So,
\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccl}
\displaystyle\sum_{x=0}^{5}3x+5 & = & [3(0)+5]+[3(1)+5]+[3(2)+5]+[3(3)+5]+[3(4)+5]+[3(5)+5] \\
& = & 5+8+11+14+17+20 \\
& = & 75
\end{array}\)

Coming back to the original question (which is easier) :

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^3 2 i = 12\) means that \(\displaystyle 2i\) will be added to itself 3 times starting from the lower limit (1) and ending with the upper limit (3).

So,
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\begin{array}{ccl}\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^3 2 i & = & 2(1)+2(2)+2(3) \\
& = & 2+4+6 \\
& = & 12
\end{array}\)

Last edited:

Related to What does this sum symbol mean?

What does this sum symbol mean?

The sum symbol, denoted by the capital Greek letter sigma (Σ), represents the mathematical operation of addition. It is used to indicate that a series of numbers or terms should be added together.

How do you read a sum symbol?

The sum symbol is read as "sum of" or "the sum over". For example, Σxi would be read as "the sum over x sub i".

What is the difference between a sum symbol and a product symbol?

While the sum symbol represents addition, the product symbol (denoted by the capital Greek letter pi, Π) represents multiplication. The sum symbol adds terms together, while the product symbol multiplies them together.

What are the limits of a sum symbol?

The limits of a sum symbol are the values that the index variable takes on. For example, in the sum Σxi where i ranges from 1 to 5, the limits are 1 and 5. These limits indicate the starting and ending points of the sum.

Can a sum symbol have multiple terms?

Yes, a sum symbol can have multiple terms. For example, Σ(xi + yi) would represent the sum of each individual term (xi + yi) over the specified limits. This is equivalent to Σxi + Σyi.