What effect does a nuke have underwater?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential damage and consequences if a nuke were to explode at the bottom of the ocean, specifically in the context of the movie Abyss. Experts mention possible effects such as tsunamis, radioactive steam, earthquakes, and the impact on marine life. They also mention the yield and power of different nuclear devices and discuss the plausibility of the scenario in the movie. Some experts question the purpose and effectiveness of detonating a nuke underwater during warfare.
MHrtz
So I was watching Abyss the other day and got to the part where Ed Harris drops down an underwater cliff to disable a nuke which lies at the bottom. I think the distance was two miles underwater. If the nuke were to have exploded what kind of damage would be done and would it have even been worth the trouble to disarm it in the first place (assuming the way he got down there was actually plausible)?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would depend upon the yield. I'll leave it up to some experts to give you definitive answers.
My first thoughts turn toward tsunamis (as in 500-metre waves), massive clouds of radioactive steam, probable earthquakes... not pretty.

Some were detonated underwater, albeit near the surface, in the mid 20th century. It surely depends on the yield, but since tsunamis are caused by earthquakes, and devices are not known to cause earthquakes, I'm not sure.

I can see the radioactive steam but earthquakes? Tsunamis? I don't know exactly how much energy water can absorb but a nuclear blast is the equivalent of 13000 million tons of TNT.

Also, let's say radioactive steam was produced. Is even worth the trouble to disarm the nuke in the first place.

MHrtz said:
I can see the radioactive steam but earthquakes? Tsunamis? I don't know exactly how much energy water can absorb but a nuclear blast is the equivalent of 13000 million tons of TNT.

Not any nuke that we've ever produced. 13,000 million tons of TNT would be 260 times more powerful than the most powerful nuclear device ever detonated (and closer to a thousand times more powerful than the most powerful US device ever detonated). Typical nuclear blasts are more in the neighborhood of a few hundred kilotons, the equivalent of a few hundred thousand tons of TNT.

The nuke, not factoring its yield, if detonated very deep underwater would still create its fireball and massive amounts of heat. From that it would vaporize water in and outside the blast zone. The resulting massive steam bubble(s) would make their way to the top.

The shock wave from the nuke would move faster through the water than it would the air since water is denser. Regarding fallout, I'm not sure how that would work since the nuke would likely not be sending as many dirt/debris particles into the atmosphere, although the water vapor from the ocean water would probably be radioactive.

The nuke would certainly not cause a tsunami or anything like that. I'd say the only real purpose for detonating a nuke underwater during wartime would be to eliminate one or more enemy submarines with an indefinite location that pose a serious threat. Seems like it would be overkill, but if an enemy nuclear sub is threatening the country, no chances would be taken.

In the effects of an underwater accident was too catastrophic, perhaps the concept of nuclear subs carrying nuclear warheads wouldn't have left the design table.

cjl said:
Not any nuke that we've ever produced. 13,000 million tons of TNT would be 260 times more powerful than the most powerful nuclear device ever detonated (and closer to a thousand times more powerful than the most powerful US device ever detonated). Typical nuclear blasts are more in the neighborhood of a few hundred kilotons, the equivalent of a few hundred thousand tons of TNT.

The largest nuke ever detonated was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba" by the Soviets in 1961. 50 Megatons. In comparison the bomb the US dropped on Hiroshima in WWII was 10 - 15 kilotons and wasn't a very efficient bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 x 260 = 13000

Had me going for a few minutes as well...

Lsos said:
50 x 260 = 13000

Had me going for a few minutes as well...

Yeah I totally misread the post. Thanks for clearing that up!

stereobot said:
The largest nuke ever detonated was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba" by the Soviets in 1961. 50 Megatons. In comparison the bomb the US dropped on Hiroshima in WWII was 10 - 15 kilotons and wasn't a very efficient bomb.

Yep. The most powerful US device was the Castle Bravo test, which was around 15 megatons.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to Google "nuclear depth charge".

Here's a hypothetical. What if you took about 1,000 nukes and buried some in the ocean floor, then strung the rest evenly up a cable all the way to the surface. When set off, you create a huge tube of air from surface to seafloor. Ocean collpases into the tube --> Mega Tsunami? Anyone here who can do a simulation?

MHrtz said:
So I was watching Abyss the other day and got to the part where Ed Harris drops down an underwater cliff to disable a nuke which lies at the bottom. I think the distance was two miles underwater. If the nuke were to have exploded what kind of damage would be done and would it have even been worth the trouble to disarm it in the first place (assuming the way he got down there was actually plausible)?
I think by sure it will create a tsunami, as you can't compress water, and the explosion produces a huge amount of steam, which requires much more space tha liquid water, hence water must go "somewhere".

But there is an additional effect nobody mentioned: fishes!
Thousands of dead fishes!
I always wondered how many thousands/millions of fishes old underwater nuclear tests killed! And where did they go once dead?!?

What effect does a nuke have underwater?

When a nuclear explosion occurs underwater, it can have a range of effects on the surrounding environment. Here are five frequently asked questions about the impact of a nuke underwater.

What is the blast radius of a nuke underwater?

The blast radius of a nuke underwater is typically smaller than a nuke detonated on land due to the density of water. However, the shock wave from the explosion can still travel long distances and cause damage to objects and marine life underwater.

How does a nuke affect marine life?

The explosion of a nuke underwater can have devastating effects on marine life. The intense heat and pressure from the blast can kill fish and other organisms within a certain radius, while the shock wave can cause damage to the internal organs of larger sea creatures.

Can a nuke contaminate the ocean?

Yes, a nuke can contaminate the ocean with radioactive material. When a nuclear explosion occurs underwater, it can release radioactive particles into the water, which can spread over a large area and have long-lasting effects on marine life and the environment.

What happens to the water after a nuke explosion?

The water near the site of a nuke explosion will be heated to extremely high temperatures and can turn into steam, creating a large cloud of water vapor. This cloud can then collapse, creating a crater on the ocean floor and sending a massive wave of water outward, known as a tsunami.

What precautions are taken to prevent underwater nuclear explosions?

Underwater nuclear explosions are highly regulated and require strict permission from the government. Before a nuke is detonated underwater, extensive environmental and safety assessments are conducted to minimize the impact on the surrounding area and marine life.