What effects does an electric field have on potential energy?

In summary: It is the work done by an external force in moving an object from one position to another, against the field, without changing its kinetic energy. In the case of gravity, this work is negative, meaning it is done by the object's own weight. In the case of an electric field, it could be positive or negative depending on the direction of the field and the direction of the movement of the charged particle.
JoeyBob
Like an electric field is applying a sort of force on a particle. I was wondering if this at all impacts the potential energy of a particle. For instance, when the force of gravity does work on an object, its potential energy changes as a consequence. Would it be the same thing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The equations are the same only the symbols are different. Charge replaces mass, and ##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}## replaces ##G.##

JoeyBob said:
Summary:: When I look this up everything is talking about the effect an electric field has on potential.

Like an electric field is applying a sort of force on a particle. I was wondering if this at all impacts the potential energy of a particle. For instance, when the force of gravity does work on an object, its potential energy changes as a consequence. Would it be the same thing here?
You should distinguish between Gravitational and Electric Potential. They are very distinct. ``Everything has 'some of each' but in the majority of circumstances that are commonly described, only one of them dominates. It's the Gravitational Potential that governs what planets do and it's the Electrical potential that describes the behaviour of electrons and ions in most circuits and old TV tubes. Life as a small flying insect involves both gravitational and electrical forces because the viscosity of the air is caused by electrical potential at a molecular level but, in still air and without flapping its wings, gravitational force will pull an insect down to the Earth (very slowly). You won't get asked questions about that situation at School level."When I look this up". Where are you looking?

Both the gravitational field and electric field obey the inverse square law for point sources. Mathematically they are very similar in that sense, and it makes it easier to learn about the forces between charged particles, if you have studied a similar thing with the gravitational field. Even a uniformly dense spherical mass of finite size acts like a point mass with all of the mass at its center, and the mathematics carries over to the electric case.

Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
You should distinguish between Gravitational and Electric Potential. They are very distinct. ``Everything has 'some of each' but in the majority of circumstances that are commonly described, only one of them dominates. It's the Gravitational Potential that governs what planets do and it's the Electrical potential that describes the behaviour of electrons and ions in most circuits and old TV tubes. Life as a small flying insect involves both gravitational and electrical forces because the viscosity of the air is caused by electrical potential at a molecular level but, in still air and without flapping its wings, gravitational force will pull an insect down to the Earth (very slowly). You won't get asked questions about that situation at School level."When I look this up". Where are you looking?
Google... https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...69i60j69i61.7079j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But as you can see its talking about electric potential energy. Is this the same as potential energy? Even if I look this up...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...0i22i30i395.8271j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Doesnt give what I want...

JoeyBob said:
But as you can see its talking about electric potential energy. Is this the same as potential energy
Electric potential energy is one type of potential energy. Similarly with gravitational potential energy, chemical potential energy, elastic potential energy, etc.

Likes vanhees71
So its change is the same as negative work?

JoeyBob said:
But as you can see its talking about electric potential energy. Is this the same as potential energy?
Did you read the first two lines of my post which you have just quoted? The word "potential```' refers to stored energy per unit of charge (or mass).
To clear things up: Electrical Potential Energy (E) is the Electrical Potential (V) times the amount of charge (Q) involved
E = QV
Likewise for Gravitational Potential and GPE, where the total Energy is the Potential times the Mass.

Likes vanhees71
And all that holds only for static electric fields!

Likes Charles Link
JoeyBob said:
So its change is the same as negative work?
Yes, the definition in terms of work is the same for all types of potential energy.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which charged particles experience a force. It is created by electrically charged objects and can be either positive or negative.

2. How does an electric field affect potential energy?

An electric field can change the potential energy of a charged particle by exerting a force on it. If the particle is moving in the same direction as the electric field, its potential energy decreases. If the particle is moving in the opposite direction, its potential energy increases.

3. What factors influence the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is influenced by the magnitude and distance of the charges creating the field. It also depends on the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different abilities to conduct electric fields.

4. How does the direction of an electric field affect potential energy?

The direction of an electric field can determine the direction of the force exerted on a charged particle, which in turn affects its potential energy. If the electric field and the particle are in the same direction, the potential energy decreases. If they are in opposite directions, the potential energy increases.

5. Can an electric field change the total amount of potential energy in a system?

Yes, an electric field can change the total amount of potential energy in a system by changing the potential energy of individual charged particles. It can also change the distance between charges, which can affect the overall potential energy of the system.