What exactly is mechanical energy?

In summary, mechanical energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energy. It involves force, mass, and distance and is different from other forms of energy such as electrical, nuclear, or chemical energy. Kinetic energy is energy due to motion, while potential energy is stored energy. Both kinetic and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy, and electrostatic potential energy is also considered part of mechanical energy. Overall, mechanical energy is the capability to do work.
tor2006
Regards my question is the following.

I know that mechanical energy is considered as a sum of potential and kinetic energy. But I still do not understand exactly what is the mechanical energy.Whether kinetic energy and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy or that the kinetic and potential energy is converted into a mechanical energy of the object.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a matter of definition. You define mechanical energy as the sum of kinetic and potential energies. So once you understand those two, you understand what is mechanical energy. Mechanical energy is not a different form of energy into which the kinetic and potential energies are converted.

tor2006 said:
Regards my question is the following.

I know that mechanical energy is considered as a sum of potential and kinetic energy. But I still do not understand exactly what is the mechanical energy.Whether kinetic energy and potential energy are forms of mechanical energy or that the kinetic and potential energy is converted into a mechanical energy of the object.
They are forms of mechanical energy, involving force and mass and distance. This is as opposed to electrical energy which is based on charge and voltage...or nuclear energy or chemical energy...

Electrostatic potential energy is still part of the mechanical energy.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Electrostatic potential energy is still part of the mechanical energy.
There is overlap/meeting.

Energy is the capability to do work. Thus electrochemical energy is a wet cell battery is able to turn the starter motor on your car when coupled to the necessary conversion machinery. Kinetic energy is energy due to motion, while all other forms (electrostatic, magnetostatic, chemical, etc) are stored forms of energy and fall in the category of potential energy.

Likes nasu

What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is a form of energy that is possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is the sum of an object's kinetic energy and potential energy.

How is mechanical energy different from other forms of energy?

Mechanical energy is different from other forms of energy in that it is specifically related to the motion or position of an object. Other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or electromagnetic energy, may also involve motion and position, but they are not solely dependent on these factors.

What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a compressed spring, or a spinning top. In each of these examples, the object possesses both kinetic and potential energy.

How is mechanical energy measured?

Mechanical energy is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI). The formula for calculating mechanical energy is E = K + U, where E is the total mechanical energy, K is the object's kinetic energy, and U is the object's potential energy.

What are some real-world applications of mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy has many real-world applications, including powering machines and vehicles, generating electricity, and providing motion for various tools and devices. It is also used in sports, such as when a baseball player hits a ball or a diver jumps off a diving board.