What fan can I use in a close loop application with a backpressure

In summary, the conversation is about a test application that requires a high velocity air flow through a restriction in a closed loop system. The design parameters include a 6in max pipe, air at 110F and 85%RH, and a maximum pressure of 12 psig. The speaker is considering using a mixed flow fan or a turbo arrangement, and mentions the advantages of a closed loop system such as keeping the same gas isolated and being able to control gas temperature. The reason for the closed loop arrangement is to decrease fan amperage and reduce costs.
vapl153
I have a test application that required a high velocity (subsonic) air trough a restriction in a close loop system. I would like to know which circulating fan would be suitable (axial, centrifugal, mixed flow, turbo) since the fan will have a backpressure from the close loop arrangement.

Design parameter:
6in max pipe in a close loop (fan, restriction, elbow 180deg, intercooler, elbow 180deg, back to fan)
Medium: air at 110F and 85%RH
800 - 1200 scfm
12 psig max pressure
Restriction 2.25 in
Intercooler full pipe size after the restriction

I was thinking of a mixed flow fan used in commercial airplane for the size and capacity and pressure or a turbo arrangement where the return after the restriction would turn the exhaust inducer, and the outlet to the intercooler than back to the other side of the turbo (there will be a motor connected to the turbo)

Thanks if you can guide me on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, why the closed loop arrangement?

The close loop arrangement is for:
- Keep the same gas isolated and eventualy pressurise the system
- Increase the velocity of the air using only one fan, the air comes back to its inlet
- Decrease the fan Amperage once the flow gets going (mixed flow fan are at 3300 W)
- Be able to control the gas temperature with intercooler

Its similar to a small Wind Tunnel
http://sln.fi.edu/flight/first/tunnelparts/tunnel_loop.html

My application require a high velocity small fan, that's the problem,
Reason: Further test will be made under pressure and big size SS pipes are expensive, I have to limit it to 6" dia pipes

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a close loop application with backpressure?

A close loop application with backpressure is a system where a fluid is circulated through a closed loop, such as in a cooling or heating system, and there is a restriction or obstruction in the flow, causing an increase in pressure.

2. Why is backpressure important in a close loop application?

Backpressure is important in a close loop application because it can affect the performance and efficiency of the system. Too much backpressure can lead to decreased flow and increased energy consumption, while too little backpressure can cause the system to overheat or malfunction.

3. How does a fan help in a close loop application with backpressure?

A fan can help in a close loop application with backpressure by providing additional airflow and helping to regulate the pressure in the system. The fan can help to maintain a proper balance of backpressure, ensuring the system operates efficiently and effectively.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a fan for a close loop application with backpressure?

When choosing a fan for a close loop application with backpressure, factors such as the required airflow, pressure drop, and motor power should be considered. It is also important to select a fan that is compatible with the specific fluid and temperature of the system.

5. Can any fan be used in a close loop application with backpressure?

No, not all fans are suitable for use in a close loop application with backpressure. It is important to select a fan that is specifically designed and rated for use in such applications. Using the wrong type of fan can lead to inefficiency, damage to the system, and potential safety hazards.

Back