What Fictional Alien Concepts interest You the Most?

In summary, aliens have behavior that resembles that of some humans. This technique can create a satire of how humans operate. To create an alien character whose behavior doesn't resemble a human behavior is an interesting "literary exercise", but to be entertaining, such an alien needs to resemble some familiar phenomenon.
Bab5space
For me it is their behavior. How it is different from humanity. Some will seek to answer the why, but I am only interested in their ongoing goals. To a large degree that fits their behavior, since in my work, each fictional race I tailor made for a specific purpose which drives them to do what they do. There still is plenty of room for individuality within this too.What about you? What fictional alien concepts interest you most and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, the most interesting aspects of alien behavior are those that resemble the behavior of some humans. Alien characters can be used effectively to portray extremes of human behavor. This technique can create a satire of how humans operate.

To create an alien character whose behavior doesn't resemble a human behavior is an interesting "literary exercise", but to be entertaining, such an alien needs to resemble some familiar phenomenon - like an unreliable vending machine or an automated phone answer system.

I enjoyed the Predator series of movies because of the depth and complexity of the alien character(s), and the well-done production of the nuances in the movies.

The concept of an alien race of advanced predators who pride themselves on being able to survive and prey on other animals (and trophy hunt other beings) that are very capable of defending themselves, plus their ethics of not harming innocent beings or unarmed beings, etc., was very thought provoking for me. I especially liked the scene in Predator 2 (I think that was the one) where Danny Glover was looking into a shop window with several taxidermy heads on display, and the focus changed back to his reflection. Great stuff.

Anyway, full disclosure, I'm a hunter, and I found the self-reflection parts of the Predator series very well done and thought-provoking. It has to be hard to think up basic alien/Sci-Fi concepts like this, let alone fill them out so well with so many thought-provoking scenes.

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/empi...&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg
1570325268388.png

Stephen Tashi said:
To me, the most interesting aspects of alien behavior are those that resemble the behavior of some humans. Alien characters can be used effectively to portray extremes of human behavor. This technique can create a satire of how humans operate.

To create an alien character whose behavior doesn't resemble a human behavior is an interesting "literary exercise", but to be entertaining, such an alien needs to resemble some familiar phenomenon - like an unreliable vending machine or an automated phone answer system.

Can a human make up an alien? Yes, but it is not an alien.

Knowing that, it is not my goal to do the impossible.

My aliens I create for my story all have a purpose in the galaxy. One accepts and supports truth, which makes their society different than humanity economically, religiously, and politicalky. Another is territorial, to the point that they are so possesive that they only trade or buy mostly. Donations are done either when they no longer want something, or when they expect some future return benefit that they will require later. Even with children and friends. Individuals need to have something of their own to protect, ot else they will become depressed, even suicidal. Thus that is one reason they travel space, to get their own stuff. The homeworld is fully owned already, so younger folks try to start their own colonies to have something that is uniquely their own.The fun part is the inevitable human/alien culture clash.

I guess the only real precedent is learning to adapt to cultures we are not native to.

Last edited:

1. What exactly is a fictional alien concept?

A fictional alien concept refers to any idea, concept, or portrayal of extraterrestrial beings that is created within the realm of fiction, such as literature, film, television, or video games. These concepts are not based on real scientific evidence or knowledge, but rather on imagination and creativity.

2. What makes fictional alien concepts interesting to study?

Fictional alien concepts can be intriguing to study because they allow us to explore the possibilities of life beyond Earth and challenge our understanding of the universe. They also provide a platform for examining human nature, societal issues, and philosophical questions in a unique and imaginative way.

3. What are some examples of popular fictional alien concepts?

Some popular fictional alien concepts include extraterrestrial civilizations, alien species with advanced technology, intergalactic travel, and encounters with aliens on Earth. Examples of popular fictional aliens include the Xenomorphs from the Alien franchise, the Vulcans from Star Trek, and the Na'vi from Avatar.

4. How do scientists approach the study of fictional alien concepts?

Scientists may approach the study of fictional alien concepts by analyzing the scientific plausibility of the concepts presented and comparing them to real scientific knowledge. They may also examine the cultural and societal influences that shape these concepts and how they reflect our own beliefs and values.

5. Are there any potential benefits to studying fictional alien concepts?

Studying fictional alien concepts can broaden our perspectives and stimulate creativity and critical thinking. It can also inspire scientific innovation and advancements, as well as encourage discussions about the unknown and our place in the universe.