What Forces Affect a Motorcyclist's Cornering Performance?

• Thread starter walesdennis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of formal mathematics education and their desire to understand physics concepts in non-scientific and mathematical terms. The question asks about the forces involved when a motorcyclist leans into a corner, and the moderator notes that there are three forces at play: gravity, friction, and wind resistance. The speaker also mentions other factors that contribute to a bike's cornering characteristics, such as the head angle, rake, and trail of the fork, as well as the rider's body position. Ultimately, the speaker is seeking to understand these concepts in terms that are easily understandable to them.
walesdennis
I have never studied any form of mathematics other than through 'getting through life' and working stuff out and trying to understand the mechanics/ physics in terms I understand. Non scientific / mathematical terms but words in English.
I have a few questions I would like to ask a physicist to explain in words and terms I understand.
Along the way I am sure I could get to know some interesting characters and learn your terms to my thinking.

Q. What are all the forces in play with a motorcyclist negotiating a corner at speed, and leaning into the corner by moving his/ her mass off the bike (and down), in order to reduce the angle of lean of the bike itself.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the tyres to be radial with as much traction on it's overall surface, whilst in a constant state of rest.
Consider the centre of gravity to be midway between the two wheels in a constant state of rest.
The rider weighs half as much as the bike.
What else?

Moderator's note: moved to General Physics forum.

Taking your question literally ("all the forces in play") there are three forces:
Gravity
Friction between tyres and road
Wind resistance
The net friction force will be due to the combination of motor; braking and the centripetal force required to turn the corner. If you ignore wind resistance and assume no acceleration from the motor or application of brakes it gets much simpler, (but still complicated, just not as complicated).
The cornering characteristics of any bike will be determined by factors which include, but are not restricted to, the head angle, rake and trail of the fork; the position of the centre of mass (including its height!); the coefficient of friction of the tyre/road interface and the wheelbase.
When a rider shifts his or her body to one side relative to the centre line of the bike they are trying to alter the cornering characteristics to compensate for what they perceive as a lack in those characteristics. An ideal combination of rider and bike would perform optimally without the rider needing to do this. (The ideal rider probably has zero mass!)

Related to What Forces Affect a Motorcyclist's Cornering Performance?

What are the main forces that act on a motorcyclist?

The main forces that act on a motorcyclist are gravity, friction, air resistance, and centripetal force.

How does gravity affect a motorcyclist?

Gravity is a downward force that pulls the motorcyclist and the motorcycle towards the center of the Earth. This force is responsible for keeping the motorcyclist and the motorcycle on the ground and affects their acceleration and speed.

What role does friction play in motorcycle riding?

Friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact. In motorcycle riding, friction provides the necessary grip between the tires and the road, allowing the motorcyclist to maintain control and maneuver the motorcycle.

How does air resistance affect a motorcyclist?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can affect the speed and handling of a motorcycle, especially at high speeds. Motorcyclists often use aerodynamic gear and positions to minimize the impact of air resistance.

What is centripetal force and how does it affect a motorcyclist?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In motorcycle riding, this force is essential for making turns and navigating curves. The motorcyclist must lean into the turn to counteract the centrifugal force and maintain balance and control.