What happens to the energy in an inductor or capacitor when opened?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy conservation in regards to inductors and charged capacitors. It is mentioned that when an inductor is disconnected from a power source, the energy can be released in the form of a spark. Similarly, when a charged capacitor is opened, its energy can be released as well. It is also mentioned that the energy in a charged capacitor can stay there until it dissipates through internal leakage. The conversation also touches on the potential of using an inductor to step up voltage, as well as a personal anecdote about a high school experiment with an air core coil. Ultimately, the conversation emphasizes the importance of being careful when working with high voltage power supplies.
RohanKulkarni
Hi guys..i have got a question...suppose i connect an inductor to a dc source until it is fully charged..as soon as it gets full of magnetic energy,i disconnect it from the circuit..remember that it has magnetic potential energy..suppose an idiot like me opens up the inductor (as inductor is just a coil) Where would the trapped energy go?
Similarly what would happen if i open a charged capacitor..where will its energy go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never fear, conservation of energy stands up to all challengers.

When you try to reduce the current in an inductor it causes a very high ##L\frac{dI}{dt}## voltage. That might cause a spark to appear across the switch and the energy goes into the spark. That is exactly how we make the spark plugs spark in a gasoline engine.

We can think of scenarios where it is hard to see where the energy goes, but when we look close enough, energy will always be conserved.

Likes CWatters, jrmichler and Dale
And the energy in a charged capacitor stays there until the capacitor bleeds down from internal leakage. This is why you have to be very careful when working on high voltage power supplies - the power can be shut off, but the internal capacitors are still fully charged. Then somebody sticks their finger in there, and KAPOW!

Likes CWatters
The effect anorlunda describes is very handy. The high voltage generated by the inductor when it's disconnected from the DC source can be captured by feeding it through a diode into a capacitor. If you keep connecting and disconnecting the inductor you can end up with a higher voltage on the capacitor than you started with in the DC supply. This is called a step up converter because the voltage is stepped up, and such circuits are quite common.

Likes anorlunda
Back in high school, I had a 10,000 turn air core coil as a result of failed attempt to make my own transformer to build a bug zapper (I shorted the primary coil). When I connected the coil to a 1.5 volt D cell battery, I got jolt when disconnecting the battery. So I took the coil to school, and connected it to an oscilloscope. We measured 1600 volts peak from a 1.5 volt battery.

Probably a good thing I had removed the steel transformer core and/or did not think of using a more powerful power supply.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire wound around a core material, and its ability to store energy is determined by its inductance value, measured in Henrys.

2. How does an inductor work?

When an electric current flows through an inductor, a magnetic field is created around the coil, which resists any changes in the current. As a result, the inductor stores energy in the form of this magnetic field. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field collapses, releasing the stored energy.

3. What is the purpose of an inductor in a circuit?

An inductor can be used for a variety of purposes in a circuit. It can act as a filter, smoothing out fluctuations in a circuit's current. It can also be used to store and release energy, as well as to create time delays in circuits.

4. How do I calculate the inductance value of an inductor?

The inductance value of an inductor can be calculated using the formula L = N^2 * μ * A / l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core.

5. What are some common applications of inductors?

Inductors are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power supplies, motors, and generators. Inductors are also used in filters, oscillators, and timing circuits in various electronic systems.