What happens to water when it's put under high pressure?

In summary, when a great pressure is applied to water, it can result in superheated liquid with a reduced volume. This is because applying pressure to water vapor can turn it into liquid due to its higher density. It is unlikely for the water to turn into ice, as ice has a lower density. The volume, temperature, and phase of H2O can be affected by the pressure, with the main factor being the heat transfer during the compression process.
ImAnEngineer
Hi there,

I was wondering what happens when a great pressure is applied to water. I think that applying pressure to water vapor would turn it into water (liquid) since it has a higher density. So at first I thought that water would turn into ice, but quickly I realized that would be odd since ice has a lower density.
So my question is, what happens to the volume, the temperature and the phase of the H2O when you apply a big pressure to it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on the constraints, you'll probably end up with superheated liquid that has a reduced volume. I think the big factor would be what the heat transfer during the compresion was.

575px-Phase-diag2.svg.png

Thanks, that makes sense :) !

Related to What happens to water when it's put under high pressure?

1. What is water under high pressure?

Water under high pressure refers to the state of water when it is subjected to pressure that is significantly higher than atmospheric pressure. This can occur naturally in deep ocean environments or artificially in laboratory settings.

2. How does water behave under high pressure?

Under high pressure, water molecules are forced closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume. This can cause changes in the physical and chemical properties of water, such as its boiling and freezing points.

3. What are the applications of studying water under high pressure?

Studying water under high pressure can provide insight into the behavior of water in extreme environments such as deep ocean trenches or in the Earth's mantle. It can also have practical applications in fields such as materials science and geology.

4. Can water under high pressure be dangerous?

Water under high pressure can be dangerous if not handled properly. The sudden release of high pressure water can cause injuries, and the high pressure itself can damage equipment. It is important to follow safety precautions when working with high pressure water.

5. How is water under high pressure studied?

Water under high pressure can be studied using specialized equipment such as pressure chambers and diamond anvil cells. These tools allow scientists to recreate high pressure environments and observe the behavior of water under different conditions.