What happens when an electron and a positron meet?

In summary, the conversation is about a question that requires a numerical answer and involves calculating energy release. The speaker is helping a friend who struggles with science and asks for any useful formulas. They also realize they have posted in the wrong section and request for a moderator to move their post to the correct section. They are reminded to follow the guidelines and fill out a Homework Help Template when re-posting in the correct section.
Nick tringali
The question also wants a numerical answer, calculate the amount of energy released. I am helping my friend with this because she is bad at science, but she is in College. If anyone knows of any formulas that would be of use, i would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this in the correct section?
Can a moderator please move this to the homework section, i put this in the wrong section

Nick tringali said:
Is this in the correct section?
Can a moderator please move this to the homework section, i put this in the wrong section
Please re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and fill out the Homework Help Template you are provided there. This includes sections on the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

1. What is an electron and a positron?

Electrons and positrons are both types of subatomic particles. Electrons have a negative charge and are found in atoms, while positrons have a positive charge and are the antiparticles of electrons.

2. What happens when an electron and a positron meet?

When an electron and a positron meet, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as pair annihilation.

3. How is energy released during pair annihilation?

During pair annihilation, the total mass of the electron and positron is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

4. Can pair annihilation occur in nature?

Yes, pair annihilation can occur in nature. In fact, it is a common process in high-energy particle physics, as well as in astrophysics, where high-energy particles collide and produce gamma rays.

5. Is there any practical application of pair annihilation?

Pair annihilation has several practical applications, such as in positron emission tomography (PET) scans, where positrons are produced and annihilated in the body to create images of tissues and organs. It is also being researched as a potential source of energy through matter-antimatter reactions.