What happens with counter rotating gyroscopes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gyroscopes for stabilizing a landing shipment. It is suggested that using two gyroscopes on the same axle could potentially cancel out any rotation caused by the gyroscope. However, it is also mentioned that for a flying vehicle, using gyroscopes may not be as effective due to the increased degrees of freedom and the need for them to be lightweight and cost-efficient.
shintashi
I was thinking about retro rockets for landing and how precise they have to be, but then i thought "you could stabilize the whole thing with a gyroscope". Then I realized the gyroscope would cause the landing shipment to rotate in the opposite direction.

So I thought, hey, why not two gyroscopes, like almost right on top of each other?
Would the two cancel each other? Would they rotate or experience some kind of tilt precession in that gap between the two along the axis?
And what if you have 3 or 4 +gyroscopes going clockwise & counter clockwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
If they are on the same axle so that their forces cancel through the axle, then the axle can be moved with no effect from the spinning. So I don't think there would be any stabilization benefit from the gyros.

shintashi said:
So I thought, hey, why not two gyroscopes, like almost right on top of each other?

See here:

For a flying vehicle it's more difficult, because it has more degrees of freedom. And it would have to be lighter / smaller / cheaper than the fuel spent by the steering rockets, to be worth it.

1. What is a counter rotating gyroscope?

A counter rotating gyroscope is a device that consists of two gyroscopes spinning in opposite directions. It is used to measure and maintain orientation and stability in various machines and vehicles.

2. How does a counter rotating gyroscope work?

A counter rotating gyroscope works by utilizing the principle of angular momentum. The spinning gyroscopes create a stable platform that resists changes in orientation, allowing for precise measurement and control.

3. What are the applications of counter rotating gyroscopes?

Counter rotating gyroscopes have a wide range of applications, including navigation systems in airplanes, spacecraft, and submarines, stabilizers in ships and vehicles, and precision instruments in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

4. What are the advantages of using counter rotating gyroscopes?

One of the main advantages of using counter rotating gyroscopes is their high level of stability and accuracy in measuring and maintaining orientation. They are also compact, durable, and can function in a wide range of environments and conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to counter rotating gyroscopes?

While counter rotating gyroscopes have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They can be affected by external forces and vibrations, and their precision can decrease over time due to wear and tear. Additionally, they can be expensive and complex to design and maintain.