What is 400 Newtons and How Does it Relate to Everyday Life?

In summary, 400 Newtons is a measurement of force. It is equivalent to a weight of 88 pounds being applied to the ground.
NewtonNewbie
I'm a middle school history teacher and I have to explain to a group of parents what 400 Newtons is. It's a long story...

I've googled Newtons and understand that they're a measurement of force. It would be great if someone could give me some real world examples of what can produce a force of 400 Newtons.

Is it like a brick falling off a building? Being hit in the head with a rock?

Any help on this would be appreciated as the science teachers in my school are at a loss...

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonNewbie said:
I'm a middle school history teacher and I have to explain to a group of parents what 400 Newtons is. It's a long story...

I've googled Newtons and understand that they're a measurement of force. It would be great if someone could give me some real world examples of what can produce a force of 400 Newtons.

Is it like a brick falling off a building? Being hit in the head with a rock?

Any help on this would be appreciated as the science teachers in my school are at a loss...

You can always use the weight equivalent.

400 N is ~ 40 kg on the surface of the Earth (with g ~ 10 m/s^2). This is approximately 88 pounds. So someone who weighs 88 lbs exert a force on the ground equivalent to 400 N.

Zz.

So I could say that if I dropped a 90 pound student off the roof of the school, that would be the equivalent of 400 Newtons?

NewtonNewbie said:
So I could say that if I dropped a 90 pound student off the roof of the school, that would be the equivalent of 400 Newtons?

No, because the force of the student landing on you would depend on how fast they decelerate. Better to talk about suspending a 90 pound student in your arms or on a rope.

I wonder if the pull from a large dog on a leash would be several hundred N, and if that might be more familiar?

NewtonNewbie said:

I think you've got the wrong idea about force, you don't need rocks falling on peoples heads or students being thown off buildings to expain it. It's best explained simply in terms of how hard you need to "push" something. A force of 10 Newtons for example is the force you'd need to apply to hold approximately 1kg (2.2 pounds) against the force of gravity (at the Earths surface).

For example, if you balance a 1kg object (say bag of flour or whatever) on the palm of your hand then the force with which your hand must push upwards, just to hold it still, is approximately 10 Newtons. Similarly 400 Newtons is equivalent to a mass of about 40kg (88 pounds) in the same situation.

NewtonNewbie said:

No. An 88 lbs student standing still will exert a force (weight) equivalent to 400 N onto the ground. It means that if you put that student on a spring, the spring will experience a force of 400 N on it due to the weight of that student at equilibrium.

Zz.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll now be able to give a very clear explanation to the parents tonight.

Related to What is 400 Newtons and How Does it Relate to Everyday Life?

1. What is 400 Newtons?

400 Newtons is a unit of force, named after the famous scientist Sir Isaac Newton. It is commonly used to measure the amount of force required to move an object.

2. How much force is 400 Newtons?

400 Newtons is equivalent to about 90 pounds of force. It is considered to be a moderate amount of force and can be exerted by the average person.

3. Can you give an example of 400 Newtons in everyday life?

Yes, 400 Newtons is roughly the amount of force required to lift a 40-pound object. It is also the average force produced by a person when pushing a shopping cart.

4. How does 400 Newtons compare to other units of force?

400 Newtons is equivalent to 0.4 kilonewtons or 89.9 pounds of force. It is also equal to 89,900 dynes, a unit commonly used in physics.

5. Is 400 Newtons a lot of force?

It depends on the context. 400 Newtons is considered to be a moderate amount of force, but it can be significant depending on the situation. For example, 400 Newtons of force in a car accident can cause serious damage, while 400 Newtons of force applied to a light object may not have much effect.