What is a unit of time listed in MCNP6 PTRAC output file?

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a PTRAC output file from MCNP6 and the difficulty in finding the unit of time listed in the file. It is suggested that the natural unit of time in MCNP is the shake, which is equivalent to 10 nanoseconds. This unit is commonly used in nuclear events and is historically significant in chain reactions. It is proposed that this may be the unit for the parameter in question.
jj8bmk
TL;DR Summary
Time unit in MCNP6 PTRAC
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to analyze PTRAC output file from MCNP6

here we can see the location , cell, particle, time, and so on...

My question is, I have trouble finding the unit of time listed in PTRAC, (ex, 0.30113E-02), which is hard to find in MCNP manual

My intuition is that the time unit is in milisecond, or microsecond

Does anyone know the answer of this simple question?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The natural unit of time in MCNP is the shake. 1 shake is 10ns. It's a convenient scale for nuclear events and it's the right order for one generation in a chain reaction so there is a lot of history attached to it. Could that be the right for the parameter you are looking at?

1. What is a unit of time in MCNP6 PTRAC output file?

The unit of time in MCNP6 PTRAC output file is seconds (s). This unit is used to measure the time between particle interactions and other events in the simulation.

2. How is time represented in MCNP6 PTRAC output file?

Time in MCNP6 PTRAC output file is represented as a floating-point number with 14 digits of precision. This allows for accurate representation of very small time intervals.

3. Can I change the unit of time in MCNP6 PTRAC output file?

No, the unit of time in MCNP6 PTRAC output file is fixed and cannot be changed. However, you can convert the time values to a different unit using external tools or by manually multiplying or dividing by the appropriate conversion factor.

4. Are the time values in MCNP6 PTRAC output file absolute or relative?

The time values in MCNP6 PTRAC output file are relative to the start of the simulation. This means that the first time value will be 0 seconds and subsequent values will represent the time elapsed since the start of the simulation.

5. How can I interpret the time values in MCNP6 PTRAC output file?

The time values in MCNP6 PTRAC output file can be used to analyze the behavior of particles and other events in the simulation over time. By analyzing the time intervals between events, you can gain insights into the dynamics of the system being simulated.