What is better for robotics: Electrical or Mech Eng?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different paths for an engineering student interested in working with robotics. The two main fields mentioned are mechanical and electrical engineering, and it is noted that both are important in the field of robotics. It is also mentioned that there are opportunities for both types of engineers in robotics, whether in design or application.
vinicius0197
I know that robotics is a multidisciplinary field, requiring knowledge from many different fields of study. But I would like to know what would be the better path for a engineering seeking to work with robotics: it's mechanical or electrical engineering? I'm a student of MechE myself, and I have a huge interest in robotics. Here in college, the MechE department offers some electives in robotics, but most of them are related to manufacturing (industrial robotics, for instance). Most of the work looks like studying the dynamics of a robotic arm or something related.
So, if I were to pursue a career in robotics, would my MechE degree would be a good start (something that I could broaden later with a Master's Degree in a related field)? Is Mechanical Engineering as important as electrical engineering when talking about robotics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on where you see yourself working .

Design of robots or application of robots ?

To the OP:

I used to work for a small engineering firm specializing in robotics, and I would say the engineers who worked there were about evenly split between electrical and mechanical (the company itself was founded by a professor of mechanical engineering).

www.esit.com

So really you could study either mechanical or electrical engineering and find opportunities to pursue work or research in robotics.

Likes Delong

What is better for robotics: Electrical or Mech Eng?

This is a commonly asked question when it comes to choosing a field of study for those interested in robotics. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about this topic and their answers:

Question 1: What is the main difference between Electrical and Mech Eng in terms of robotics?

Electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and components, such as circuits, motors, and sensors, which are crucial in the operation of robots. On the other hand, Mechanical engineering deals with the design and development of physical systems and components, such as gears, motors, and actuators, which are also essential in robotics. However, Electrical engineers tend to focus more on the electronic components, while Mechanical engineers focus more on the physical aspects of robotics.

Question 2: Which field offers more job opportunities in the robotics industry?

Both Electrical and Mechanical engineering have a high demand in the robotics industry. However, as the field of robotics continues to grow and advance, there is a higher demand for Electrical engineers due to their expertise in areas such as control systems, sensors, and artificial intelligence.

Question 3: Can someone with a degree in Electrical or Mechanical engineering work in the other field?

While the two fields have their specific areas of focus, there is a lot of overlap in their skills and knowledge. Therefore, it is possible for someone with a degree in Electrical engineering to work in the Mechanical engineering field and vice versa. However, additional training and experience may be required to work in a different field.

Question 4: Which field is more challenging in terms of studying and working in the robotics industry?

Both fields require a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking skills. However, Electrical engineering can be more challenging for some due to its heavy emphasis on advanced mathematics and complex circuit designs. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, may be more physically demanding, as it involves working with physical components and systems.

Question 5: Is it better to have a background in both Electrical and Mechanical engineering for a career in robotics?

Having a background in both Electrical and Mechanical engineering can be beneficial in the robotics industry. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the complex systems involved in robotics, and it can also make you more versatile and marketable in the job market. However, it is not necessary to have a degree in both fields to have a successful career in robotics. Many professionals specialize in either Electrical or Mechanical engineering and still have successful careers in the robotics industry.