What is Chaos Theory and Does it Explain Predicting the Future?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of predicting the future and chaos theory. The individual is interested in learning more about the theory and asks for book recommendations. Some suggestions are given, including "Chaos and Fractals" by Peitgen et.al. and "Chaos" by James Gleick. However, the group also discusses the misconception that chaos theory involves randomness and the book "Does God Play Dice" by James Gleick, which addresses this topic. The individual expresses their interest in learning more about chaos theory and thanks the group for their recommendations.
semidevil
after posting my thread about predicting the future and getting some informatve reply, I got really interested in this.

So is this like chaos theory? is that what it's called? I would definatly love to read more about the theory behind this "predicting the future" and initial conditions and all that...to me, it's just so interesting.

Do you guys have any good books to reccommend? something not too technical, but then again, i don't want it to be like a story novel. so something with some math in it, and some theory, and research and all that...

I have no prior knowledge in this, so just want to get started and see what it's all about.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:
after posting my thread about predicting the future and getting some informatve reply, I got really interested in this.

So is this like chaos theory? is that what it's called? I would definatly love to read more about the theory behind this "predicting the future" and initial conditions and all that...to me, it's just so interesting.

Do you guys have any good books to reccommend? something not too technical, but then again, i don't want it to be like a story novel. so something with some math in it, and some theory, and research and all that...

I have no prior knowledge in this, so just want to get started and see what it's all about.

Good start: "Chaos and Fractals" by Peitgen et.al.

Learn the three Icons of Chaos Theory: The Fiegenbaum diagram, the Mandelbrot Set, and of course, The Lorenz Attractor.

It's intimately connected to non-linear dynamics. And if the whole world is made up of non-linear dynamics (the equations of mathematical physics are), then what does that tell you about what's going on?

Have you read "Chaos", by James Gleick?

Math Is Hard said:
Have you read "Chaos", by James Gleick?

yea, I haven't read anything yet, so just wanted to give something a try...thanx guys

"Does God Play Dice" is good.

danne89 said:
"Does God Play Dice" is good.

Is that about chaos theory? Chaos involves deterministic behavior, not random.

HallsofIvy said:
Is that about chaos theory? Chaos involves deterministic behavior, not random.
Indeed. The title is from the famous Einstein-quote "God does not play dice with the universe.". So it's Einstein, not the auhtor, who's gotten the fundamentals of the theory wrong. :smile:

Edit:
But I ought to warn: It's quite popular book and does just contain a handfew equation. Many pictures is provided, though. You should have some differentail equ. knowlage, at least, for benefit maximaly from it, I think.

Last edited:

Related to What is Chaos Theory and Does it Explain Predicting the Future?

1. What is chaos theory?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and physics that studies complex systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions, meaning that small changes in the starting point of the system can lead to drastically different outcomes.

2. How is chaos theory applied in real life?

Chaos theory has applications in a wide range of fields, including weather forecasting, economics, and biology. It is used to understand and predict complex systems that are affected by numerous factors and variables.

3. Are there any popular books on chaos theory?

Yes, there are several popular books on chaos theory, including "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick and "The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters" by Andy Andrews.

4. Is chaos theory related to chaos or disorder?

Contrary to its name, chaos theory is not about chaos or disorder. It is a science that studies the underlying patterns and order within complex systems.

5. Do I need a strong background in math and science to understand books on chaos theory?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful in understanding chaos theory, most books on the subject are written for a general audience and do not require advanced knowledge in math or science.