What Is Galilean Electrodynamics and Its Controversies?

In summary: I am not familiar with this topic, but from my understanding, Galilean Electrodynamics is a theory that challenges Einstein's theory of relativity. It has been considered a pseudoscience by many and has been the subject of controversy. However, it should not be confused with a Galilean-invariant formulation of electrodynamics, which is a theoretical and pedagogical interest. There have been studies and articles published on this topic, but it should not be confused with the journal of the same name. In summary, Galilean Electrodynamics is a theory that challenges Einstein's theory of relativity and has been considered a pseudoscience. It should not be confused with a Galilean-invariant formulation of electrodynamics
Zarlucicil
Galilean Electrodynamics?!?

I finished reading The History of Pi by Petr Beckman, thoroughly enjoyed it and wondered what other works/activities the author was involved with. Soo I eventually came across this thing called "Galilean Electrodynamics" (which Beckman apparently had a hand in starting) and was completely confused as I couldn't really find any real information on it. I know that the subscribers to Galilean Electrodynamics challenge Einstein's Relativity but what else encompasses this subject?!?

The wikipedia article was deleted some time ago and I've seen claims that the theory (if that is what Galilean Electrodynamics is) is somehow racist and completely crass. Is it some kind of pseudo science? Any information would be interesting...Thanks!

-Zarlucicil-

Physics news on Phys.org

Zarlucicil said:
Is it some kind of pseudo science?

Yes.

Hehe, thanks! But WHY is it considered to be a pseudo science?

I don't think the forum would be well served by a detailed discussion of the ins and outs of one particular piece of crackpottery.

I just want to point out that the above "Galilean Electrodynamics (Beckman)" is the title of a journal.

This, however, should be distinguished from
a Galilean-invariant formulation of Electrodynamics (i.e. what electrodynamics might have looked like if the world were Galilean invariant [rather than Lorentz-invariant]). While such a formulation doesn't describe the real world, it has pedagogical interest (for the teaching physics) and theoretical interest (for the structure of relativistic theories):
e.g.,
Le Bellac & Levy-Leblond (Nuovo Cimento A, 14 , 217-233 (1973) ) "Galilean Electromagnetism",
Jammer & Stachel (AJP, 1980) "If Maxwell had worked between Ampère and Faraday: An historical fable with a pedagogical moral" http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.12239,
de Montigny & Rousseaux (AJP, 2007) "On some applications of Galilean electrodynamics of moving bodies" http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.2772289
(I have an active research interest in this... in particular, with regard to "classical limits")
None of what is in this paragraph should be confused with the journal referred to in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

I would be very interested to know how a theory of electrodynamics could possibly be racist.

Likes kparcell

Related to What Is Galilean Electrodynamics and Its Controversies?

1. What is Galilean Electrodynamics?

Galilean Electrodynamics is a theory that describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and Galilean transformations.

2. How does Galilean Electrodynamics differ from other theories of electromagnetism?

Galilean Electrodynamics differs from other theories, such as Maxwell's equations, in that it does not incorporate the concept of a stationary ether and instead assumes that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

3. What are some applications of Galilean Electrodynamics?

Galilean Electrodynamics has been applied in various fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and cosmology. It has also been used to explain phenomena such as the propagation of light in moving media and the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

4. Is Galilean Electrodynamics still relevant in modern physics?

While Galilean Electrodynamics is not as widely used as other theories, it continues to be studied and applied in certain areas of physics, particularly in situations where the effects of special relativity can be neglected.

5. What are some criticisms of Galilean Electrodynamics?

Some critics argue that Galilean Electrodynamics is not consistent with experimental evidence and that it cannot fully explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of relativistic speeds and therefore has limited applicability in certain scenarios.