What is Static According to Nikola Tesla?

In summary: Maybe you are too young to know of the static/noise, that hiss sound between channels on AM radioor the snow seen and hiss heard on analog TV between channels ?He's referring to random noise. Maybe you are too young to know of the static/noise, that hiss sound between channels on AM radioor the snow seen and hiss heard on analog TV between channels ?
iVenky
I was reading about Nikola Tesla in his autobiography where he constantly talks about "static". Do you know what that is? He also talks about solving statics.

Here's a quote from the book, "Its introduction for telegraphic, telephonic and similar uses will automatically cut out the statics and all other interferences with at present impose narrow limits to the application of the wireless."

There is a lot of places where he talks about static.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the context of telegraphy and telephony "statics" might refer to random noise.

Likes berkeman, vanhees71 and Delta2
iVenky said:
Do you know what that is?

He's referring to random noise. Maybe you are too young to know of the static/noise, that hiss sound between channels on AM radio
or the snow seen and hiss heard on analog TV between channels ?

Likes iVenky, vanhees71 and Delta2
davenn said:
He's referring to random noise. Maybe you are too young to know of the static/noise, that hiss sound between channels on AM radio
or the snow seen and hiss heard on analog TV between channels ?
Ok that's what I thought too. I have used radio in my life :P. He talks about a way to solve it. Are you aware of that?

He goes, "By employing receivers connected to two points of the ground, as suggested by me long ago, this trouble caused by the charged air, which is very series in structures as now built, is nullified and besides, the liability of all kinds of interference is reduced to about one-half, because of the directional character of the circuit."

I always thought it's not possible to get rid of thermal noise in the receiver, but I am not sure about getting rid of cosmic microwave background noise and other RF noise in receivers.

iVenky said:
"By employing receivers connected to two points of the ground, as suggested by me long ago, this trouble caused by the charged air, which is very series in structures as now built, is nullified and besides, the liability of all kinds of interference is reduced to about one-half, because of the directional character of the circuit."
I'm not understanding that quote. Were there any drawings or other illustration of what he is talking about? Thanks.

iVenky said:
I was reading about Nikola Tesla in his autobiography where he constantly talks about "static". Do you know what that is? He also talks about solving statics.

Here's a quote from the book, "Its introduction for telegraphic, telephonic and similar uses will automatically cut out the statics and all other interferences with at present impose narrow limits to the application of the wireless."

There is a lot of places where he talks about static.
I think you need to remember that Tesla wrote things a long time ago and he was a bit 'special', even at the time. Unless you are prepared to read an awful lot of his writing you are unlikely to get a handle on what he's trying to say. Imo, it's not really worth spending too much time in that direction. His modern day fans mainly like the hint of Magic in the stories that have made it down the decades.

Likes iVenky
berkeman said:
I'm not understanding that quote. Were there any drawings or other illustration of what he is talking about? Thanks.
Not that I could find any. One thing I realized after reading Tesla's autobiography is that it's hard to understand what he is saying. It seems to me like his thought process is on a different dimension altogether.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electric charge that is stationary or not moving. It is caused by an imbalance of positive and negative charges on the surface of an object.

2. How did Nikola Tesla define static electricity?

Nikola Tesla defined static electricity as the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of an object, which can be discharged as a spark or shock.

3. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object, while current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. Static electricity is typically a temporary charge, while current electricity is a continuous flow.

4. How is static electricity generated?

Static electricity is generated when two objects with different levels of electric charge come into contact with each other. The transfer of electrons between the objects causes one to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged, resulting in static electricity.

5. What are some practical applications of static electricity?

Static electricity has many practical applications, including in air purification, electrostatic painting, and electrostatic discharge testing. It is also used in everyday objects such as photocopiers, printers, and air fresheners.