What is tension and how does it affect a rope?

In summary, Tension is a force that applies back when a rope is under stress, and it is an inward force. The direction of tension at the end points of the rope is inwards, where it is attached to the body and the ceiling. Tension is what we use to pull something, not push. This concept is further explained in the linked video, which shows how force is transmitted through the rope under tension. Tension is not a vector, and it is made up of pairs of opposite forces acting on small rope elements, which cancel each other out. At the ends of the rope, there is only one force acting inwards on each end. A diagram would be helpful for better understanding of this concept.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
I have gathered everything from post “Monkey climbing up the rope” about tension.
Tension is basically a force that the rope applies back when it is under stress. It is an inward force. Tension T's direction at end points of rope where its attached to the body and ceiling is inwards. Tension is what we pull something with not push.

“Post in thread 'Monkey climbing up the rope'
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/monkey-climbing-up-the-rope.1012065/post-6598463

This video explains nicely how force applied is transmitted from one end of rope to other under tension.
Tension is not a vector.
I want to be verified: Someone said in other post I don’t know which one “tension is pair of opposite forces acting on small rope elements all along the rope ,when under tension ,cancelling each other. At the ends there is just one force acting inwards on each end”. Am I right? A diagram would be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
Am I right?
Yes. But if you quote someone, that 'someone' is right.
A diagram would be helpful
Well, you should know enough by now to at least propose a diagram. Post it :smile: !

##\ ##

Likes rudransh verma and russ_watters
BvU said:
Yes. But if you quote someone, that 'someone' is right.

Well, you should know enough by now to at least propose a diagram. Post it :smile: !

##\ ##

Attachments

• xcvxb.png
    xcvxb.png
    917 bytes · Views: 69

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. In the case of a rope, tension is the force that is applied to the rope when it is pulled at both ends.

How does tension affect a rope?

Tension affects a rope by causing it to stretch and become taut. The amount of tension applied to a rope can determine its strength and ability to withstand weight or pressure.

What factors can affect the tension of a rope?

The tension of a rope can be affected by several factors, such as the material of the rope, the weight or force being applied to it, the length of the rope, and the angle at which it is being pulled.

How does tension impact the durability of a rope?

Tension can impact the durability of a rope by causing it to stretch and potentially weaken over time. If a rope is constantly under high tension, it may become more prone to breaking or fraying.

Can tension be beneficial for a rope?

Yes, tension can be beneficial for a rope in certain situations. For example, a tight tension can make a rope stronger and more rigid, which may be necessary for activities like rock climbing. However, too much tension can also be damaging to a rope.