What is the area of a parallelogram without knowing the height?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the area of a parallelogram with known dimensions but no height. The speaker suggested using the formula A = a*b*sin(C) or the method of multiplying one side by the perpendicular distance between the sides. The final answer was determined to be 1/8 of a square unit.
jljarrett18
I am working on a task right now. I am currently trying to find the area of a parallelogram. I do not have the height. I only have the dimensions. I have tried suggestions like dividing the parallelogram into triangles and doing 1/2bh. The dimensions I have are the 1/2,1/2,\sqrt{2}/4, \sqrt{2}/4. I have attached a picture of what I am working on. View attachment 2736

Attachments

• task 2  puzzle.png
    task 2 puzzle.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 70
Mathematics news on Phys.org
jljarrett18 said:
I am working on a task right now. I am currently trying to find the area of a parallelogram. I do not have the height. I only have the dimensions. I have tried suggestions like dividing the parallelogram into triangles and doing 1/2bh. The dimensions I have are the 1/2,1/2,\sqrt{2}/4, \sqrt{2}/4. I have attached a picture of what I am working on. View attachment 2736

Do you have any of the angles?

Prove It said:
Do you have any of the angles?
Yes, Angle E and K are 45 degrees, and angles h and g are 135 degrees.

jljarrett18 said:
Yes, Angle E and K are 45 degrees, and angles h and g are 135 degrees.

OK since you have the lengths of two non-parallel sides of the parallelogram (call them "a" and "b") and the angle between them (call it "C") you can find the area using $\displaystyle \begin{align*} A = a\,b\sin{(C)} \end{align*}$.

My parallelogram has two pairs of parallel sides so which sides am I using?

jljarrett18 said:
My parallelogram has two pairs of parallel sides so which sides am I using?

I said use two non-parallel lengths of the parallelogram and the angle between them.

So I would do A= (1/2)(√2/4)Sin(135) ?

jljarrett18 said:

Yes you could do that. You could also do $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} \cdot \sin{ \left( 45^{ \circ} \right) } \end{align*}$ :)

jljarrett18 said:
Alternatively, you could use the fact that the area of a parallelogram is the length of one side times the perpendicular distance between that side and the opposite side. In this case, the length of the vertical sides is $\frac12$, and the perpendicular distance between them is $\frac14$.

So the answer would be 1/8?

jljarrett18 said:
So the answer would be 1/8?

1/8 of a square unit, yes :)

Thank you!

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram?

The formula for finding the area of a parallelogram is base multiplied by height, or A = b * h.

2. How is the base and height of a parallelogram determined?

The base of a parallelogram is any one of its sides, while the height is the perpendicular distance between the base and the opposite side.

3. Can the area of a parallelogram be negative?

No, the area of a parallelogram cannot be negative as it is a measure of the space enclosed by the shape and cannot have a negative value.

4. Can the area of a parallelogram be calculated using the lengths of its diagonals?

Yes, the area of a parallelogram can also be calculated using the lengths of its diagonals. The formula for this is A = 1/2 * d1 * d2, where d1 and d2 are the lengths of the diagonals.

5. How does the area of a parallelogram compare to the area of a rectangle with the same base and height?

The area of a parallelogram is equal to the area of a rectangle with the same base and height. This is because a parallelogram can be divided into two congruent triangles, which can then be rearranged to form a rectangle.