What is the best fast reactor fuel and why?

In summary, fast reactors have multiple options for fuel, including plutonium 239 converting uranium 238, uranium 233 converting thorium 232, or highly enriched uranium. The choice depends on the expected neutron energy spectrum and reactor design, with fast reactors typically using a mix of Pu and U in the core and other materials in the blankets. Thermal breeder reactors, on the other hand, would use Zr-alloy cladding and a water-cooled environment with U and Pu in oxide form. Other options such as carbides and nitrides have also been explored.
shreddinglicks
I'm studying fast reactors. I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question. I know fast reactors are fueled by either plutonium 239 converting uranium 238, or uranium 233 converting thorium 232, or fueled by highly enriched uranium. Which is the better and why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
shreddinglicks said:
I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question. I know fast reactors are fueled by either plutonium 239 converting uranium 238, or uranium 233 converting thorium 232, or fueled by highly enriched uranium.
One would have to evaluate the fissile cross-sections for the neutron energy spectrum expected. Fast reactors typically use Pu-enriched fuel, usually 20% Pu-80% U in the core, with lower enrichment or straight UO2 in the axial and radial blankets (blankets would use reduced enrichment and natural or depleted U). The reference cladding is 316 stainless steel (and modified compositions), or ferritic/martensitic stainless steels like HT9 or T91/T92, with Na or Na/K coolant.

233U/232Th would be used in 'thermal' breeder reactors, which would use Zr-alloy cladding material in a water-cooled/moderated environment.

There reference form for U and Pu is oxide, as in (U,Pu)O2, so-called mixed oxide (MOX), although some have looked at mixed carbides (U,Pu)C and nitrides (U,Pu)N, and some have tried carboxides (U,Pu)CO or carbonitrides (U,Pu)CN. Oxides have the highest melting point, but lower thermal conductivity that carbides and nitrides. One can use nitrogen enriched in 15N to improve nitride performance.

What is the best fast reactor fuel and why?

The best fast reactor fuel is highly debated in the scientific community, but there are a few frequently asked questions that arise when discussing this topic:

1. What is the difference between fast reactor fuel and traditional reactor fuel?

Fast reactor fuel is designed to produce more neutrons at a faster rate compared to traditional reactor fuel. This allows for a more efficient use of fuel and a higher power output. Additionally, fast reactor fuel typically contains a higher percentage of fissile material, such as plutonium or enriched uranium, compared to traditional reactor fuel.

2. Is there a specific type of fuel that is considered the best for fast reactors?

Currently, there is no one specific type of fuel that is universally considered the best for fast reactors. Different fuels have different advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice may vary depending on the specific reactor design and intended use.

3. What are the most commonly used fuels in fast reactors?

The most commonly used fuels in fast reactors include mixed oxide (MOX) fuel, metallic fuel, and ceramic fuel. Each of these types of fuel has its own unique properties and advantages, making them suitable for different types of fast reactors.

4. What factors are considered when determining the best fast reactor fuel?

When determining the best fast reactor fuel, scientists and engineers consider factors such as fuel efficiency, power output, safety, cost, and compatibility with reactor design. They also take into account the availability of the fuel and its potential impact on the environment.

5. Is there ongoing research to develop new and improved fast reactor fuels?

Yes, there is ongoing research to develop new and improved fast reactor fuels. This research aims to address current limitations and challenges, such as fuel cladding failure and fuel reprocessing, and to improve the overall performance and sustainability of fast reactors.