What is the best way to fuse two credit cards together?

• Thread starter Catapult
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, if you want to fuse two chip cards together, you should get some cheap cards, or use old ones, to experiment with. Be aware that joining two cards like this can invalidate them.
Catapult
I want to fuse two of my chip cards together. If not for convenience, then just for fun. My plan is to cut them and use PVC cement to weld them together. What would be the best pattern to cut out the cards in? Any suggestions?
EuK3Mnh.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "best". What do you need it to do?
You should get some cheap cards, or use old ones, to experiment with.
Be aware that joining two cards like this can invalidate them.

Simon Bridge said:
Define "best". What do you need it to do?
You should get some cheap cards, or use old ones, to experiment with.
Be aware that joining two cards like this can invalidate them.
Ideally I would want to make the frankencard as strong as a regular card, though I'll be happy if is doesn't break apart in my wallet.
My endgame here is to do this for my debit cards which I never use except for ATM deposits/withdrawals.
If it doesn't work I can get new cards from my bank, not a big deal. One of the advantages of this is that the magstripe is disabled, protecting me from (most) skimming attacks.

Last edited:
This has got to be the single most elaborate approach to credit consolidation that I've ever heard of... :rolleyes:

I can't see that holding well, unless you do some elaborate cross-section so that the internal edges along the length of every cut channel are sloped, one slot with positive-negative slope and the other in negative-positive slope.
Like this: |____/...\_____\.../___| (this is a cross section of one card) (dots = air, _ = solid plastic)
then the other card will need the same pattern but inverted so you can slide it in.
.../__\...\__/... (same perpsective as above)
the left slot + cantilever will prevent lateral relative momevement between the cards in one direction, the other in the opposite direction.

Do at least 4 slots in total in a way that can prevent rotation of the card with the 2 cantilevers in CCW direction. As you see in the pic if this rotates they can separate easily. Not with 4 slots that lock the card in in both directions in each side.

That way you just need to stop the pieces from sliding to keep it in shape right? If you do 4 slots or even more like in your picture and it's a rough job, friction may suffice.

I'm not very mechanics-inclined but maybe this would work.

Regardless, if you do this I think you might jam up some ATM and never see it again.

If you insist upon doing it, dovetail joints are a tried and true standby any time.

for the most possible strength splitting the cards thickness would be the ideal method increasing the surface area to the maximum and laminating both together. just one question if you use an altered card in any machine a broken mag strip will get the card to spit out without doing a transaction how do you plan to use it for deposits and withdrawals?

dragoneyes001 said:
if you use an altered card in any machine a broken mag strip will get the card to spit out
Maybe... hmm... if he were to cut each one into a "foam finger" shape leaving both mag strips intact on opposite sides of the cards... hmm...

^that might work.

quick question if anyone knows where they embed the chips at first it was in line with the mag strip but is it now where the hologram is?

Mine is dead centre on one end.

that complicates the foam finger shape if both are not on the same side

Ooops! Hmmm...

1. Can I fuse two credit cards together?

Technically, it is possible to fuse two credit cards together, but it is not recommended. This process involves heating the cards and melting them together, which can weaken the cards and make them unusable. It is not a safe or practical option.

2. Why would someone want to fuse two credit cards together?

Some people may want to fuse two credit cards together in order to combine their credit limits or consolidate their debt. However, there are other, safer ways to achieve these goals, such as balance transfers or debt consolidation loans.

3. Is fusing two credit cards together legal?

There are no laws specifically against fusing two credit cards together, but it is not a recommended practice and may violate the terms and conditions of your credit card agreement. It is best to check with your credit card company before attempting to fuse your cards.

4. Can I still use my fused credit cards?

In most cases, fusing two credit cards together will render them unusable. The cards may become too thick to fit into card readers or may have damaged magnetic strips. It is best to contact your credit card company for a replacement card.

5. Are there any risks associated with fusing credit cards together?

Yes, there are several risks associated with fusing credit cards together. The process itself can be dangerous, as it involves heating plastic, and can also damage the cards and make them unusable. Additionally, fusing credit cards together may violate your credit card agreement and can potentially result in penalties or legal consequences.