What is the BTU load for a chiller to maintain a water bath temperature of 34 F?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to determine the BTU load of a chiller to maintain a constant 34 F bath temperature. The bath contains 400 gallons of water, starting at 34 F, and 5000 lbs of product at 40 F runs through it every hour. Roughly 220 gallons of water are lost and replenished at 34 F. Without a chiller, the bath temperature would reach 38 F in one hour. The product ideally leaves at 34 F and has a specific heat of 0.96 BTU/lb F. Based on these factors, the estimated chiller capacity needed is 28,800 BTU/hr.
DanA2020
I have been wracking my head about this one... In other jobs I have sized chillers a few times but this one is a bit different.

We have a "Bath" of water, about 400 Gallons
The baths beginning temperature is 34 F
5000 lbs of product runs through this bath every hour at a temp of 40 F
Roughly 220 Gallons of water are lost each hour and replenished by water at 34 F

If there was no chilling system to maintain the water at 34 F then over the course of one hour the water temperature would reach about 38 F

Luckily there are pipes within the bath that flow cold water to maintain a bath temp of 34 F. I need to figure out the BTU load of the chiller needed to supply those cooling pipes to maintain a constant 34 F bath temperature.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? I have tried a few different things to get a rough estimation but my results are all over the place. Any input would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, Dan.
Where those 220 lost gallons/h go to?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, Dan.
Where those 220 lost gallons/h go to?

Thanks Lnewqban!

That water attaches to the product flowing through and is lost outside the system during transport or drying (it is recollected for other use but not again in this system)

What is the temperature of the product when it leaves the bath?

Likes Lnewqban
Does the chiller also have to chill the replenishment water to 34C? If so what temperature does that water start at?

Likes Lnewqban
In your "no chiller" experiment were you replenishing the lost water? If so what was that temperature?

Likes Lnewqban
If I understand correctly:
1) Your makeup water is at the same temperature as the bath (34 F).
2) You are putting 5000 lbs/hr of product at 40 F into the bath.
3) Without the chiller, the bath temperature would rise from 34 F to 38 F in one hour. But you do not say if that temperature rise is from the ambient temperature around the bath, from the product, or both. We need to know that.
4) With the bath at 34 F, what is the temperature of the product leaving the bath?
5) What is the specific heat of the product?
6) Plus the answers to Posts #4, 5, and 6.

Likes Lnewqban
DaveE said:
Does the chiller also have to chill the replenishment water to 34C? If so what temperature does that water start at?

-Ideally the Product would leave at 34 F, the product itself is organic and can be calculated as if it were just water.

-The water used to replenish is from a separate already existing chiller

-In the no chiller example I assumed no water loss just to get a baseline

Likes Lnewqban
jrmichler said:
If I understand correctly:
1) Your makeup water is at the same temperature as the bath (34 F).
2) You are putting 5000 lbs/hr of product at 40 F into the bath.
3) Without the chiller, the bath temperature would rise from 34 F to 38 F in one hour. But you do not say if that temperature rise is from the ambient temperature around the bath, from the product, or both. We need to know that.
4) With the bath at 34 F, what is the temperature of the product leaving the bath?
5) What is the specific heat of the product?
6) Plus the answers to Posts #4, 5, and 6.

Hi jrmichler thanks for the reply, here are the answers:

1) Correct
2)Correct
3) The room is cooled, generally temperatures are between 35-40 F. So Ambient temperature shouldn't have a huge affect
4) Ideally 34 F but the dwell time of the product in the bath is variable from 45-90 seconds
5) Specific Heat is 0.96 btu/lb F

Likes Lnewqban
If we assume:
1) Product enters the bath at 40 F, and leaves at 34 F.
2) Zero heat gain from the room.
3) Zero heat gain from makeup water.

Then the bath chiller calculation is as follows:
5000 lb/hr X 0.96 BTU/(lb F) X (40 - 34) F = 28,800 BTU/hr

Be sure to check the chiller capacity at your operating conditions - 34 F on the cold side, and warmest realistic temperature at the condenser (hot side).

Likes DanA2020 and Lnewqban

1. What is a BTU load?

A BTU (British Thermal Unit) is a unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. In the context of a chiller, the BTU load refers to the amount of heat energy that needs to be removed by the chiller to maintain a specific temperature.

2. What is a chiller?

A chiller is a machine that removes heat from a liquid, typically water, by circulating it through a refrigeration system. This process allows the chiller to maintain a specific temperature for the liquid, making it useful for applications such as cooling industrial processes or maintaining a consistent temperature for scientific experiments.

3. How is the BTU load for a chiller calculated?

The BTU load for a chiller is calculated by taking into account the specific heat capacity of water, the desired temperature of the water bath, and the flow rate of the water through the chiller. The formula for calculating BTU load is: BTU load = (specific heat capacity of water) x (desired temperature - incoming water temperature) x (flow rate).

4. What factors can affect the BTU load for a chiller?

The BTU load for a chiller can be affected by a variety of factors, including the temperature of the incoming water, the desired temperature of the water bath, the flow rate of the water, and the ambient temperature of the environment. Other factors such as the type and efficiency of the chiller, as well as any external heat sources, can also impact the BTU load.

5. How can the BTU load for a chiller be reduced?

The BTU load for a chiller can be reduced by optimizing the flow rate of the water, ensuring the chiller is operating at maximum efficiency, and minimizing any external sources of heat. Additionally, using a chiller with a higher cooling capacity or a more efficient refrigeration system can help to reduce the BTU load. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the chiller can also improve its efficiency and reduce the BTU load.