What is the cause of electrical disturbances?

In summary, the frequency of power supplied by electric utilities is very regulated and anything that changes the 50Hz or 60Hz power by more than 0.5Hz is likely to kill the power completely. Electrical disturbances are simply unwanted electric currents or electric fields. They would include the 50-60Hz fields produced by household power currents.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
The electromagnetic field can carry waves, some of them are light, others are used in radio broadcast. These oscillatory waves are distinguished by their frequency. The usual pickup that we get from electric currents in the circuits in the walls of the building has a frequency of about 100 cycles/sec. It behaves as field and are called electrical disturbances.
What is a pickup? I don’t fully understand this statement in bold.

If I am correct this is the same current which is usually at 50-60hz but now due to some disturbance(lightening, fluctuations )it’s frequency has increased to 100 hz. Now it behaves as field. This is the same thing that happens on electric poles. Due to power surges a strong dangerous field is setup around it.
Correct me if I am wrong !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this case I believe "the usual pickup that we get" is intended to be taken literally - as in what is happening to a human body in an electric field. In this sense, "pickup" is similar to the what happens with the pickup in an electrical guitar.

The reference to 100Hz is likely intended to cover all frequencies in that general band - including 50Hz, 60Hz, and the second harmonics 100Hz and 120Hz.

The frequency of the power supplied by electric utilities is very regulated. Anything that changes the 50Hz or 60Hz power by more than 0.5Hz is likely to kill the power completely.

Electrical disturbances are simply unwanted electric currents or electric fields. They would include the 50-60Hz fields produced by household power currents.

Likes rudransh verma
.Scott said:
In this case I believe "the usual pickup that we get" is intended to be taken literally - as in what is happening to a human body in an electric field. In this sense, "pickup" is similar to the what happens with the pickup in an electrical guitar.

The reference to 100Hz is likely intended to cover all frequencies in that general band - including 50Hz, 60Hz, and the second harmonics 100Hz and 120Hz.

The frequency of the power supplied by electric utilities is very regulated. Anything that changes the 50Hz or 60Hz power by more than 0.5Hz is likely to kill the power completely.

Electrical disturbances are simply unwanted electric currents or electric fields. They would include the 50-60Hz fields produced by household power currents.
You mean pickup is the shock we receive on touching a bare wire!

rudransh verma said:
No. It is what you see on an oscilloscope when you make a good electrical connection between your finger and the scope probe. Your body acts like as an antenna.

.Scott said:
No. It is what you see on an oscilloscope when you make a good electrical connection between your finger and the scope probe. Your body acts like as an antenna.
So in a oscilloscope we can see the frequency of the pickup that we get from electric signal passing through it. This pickup is a graphical representation of current.

You have the basic idea - but you need to discriminate between current (amps) and potential (volts).

Current is the actual flow of electrons. Voltage is the force behind that flow that allows the flow to occur even when there is resistance. So voltage is like the water pressure behind your faucet.

The oscilloscope normally measures potential (ie, voltage), not current.
The reason that the oscilloscope is able to show the signals that you pick up is that the probes are very high impedance (commonly 100Mohms). This actually minimizes the current. Otherwise the probe would tend to short out your signal.

.Scott said:
You have the basic idea - but you need to discriminate between current (amps) and potential (volts).

Current is the actual flow of electrons. Voltage is the force behind that flow that allows the flow to occur even when there is resistance. So voltage is like the water pressure behind your faucet.

The oscilloscope normally measures potential (ie, voltage), not current.
The reason that the oscilloscope is able to show the signals that you pick up is that the probes are very high impedance (commonly 100Mohms). This actually minimizes the current. Otherwise the probe would tend to short out your signal.
But the frequency of current in houses is 50-60hz not 100hz. If I’ll connect the device to a household circuit I will get 50-60 hz not 100hz. Don’t we?

You will get either 50 or 60Hz.
It says "about 100 cycles per second". Given a spectrum that runs from below vertical sync rates (30 Hz) to beyond gamma rays, 50 Hz is "about" 100 Hz.

Likes rudransh verma and berkeman
.Scott said:
It says "about 100 cycles per second". Given a spectrum that runs from below vertical sync rates (30 Hz) to beyond gamma rays, 50 Hz is "about" 100 Hz.
Sorry! I don’t get it. Can you elaborate?

rudransh verma said:
Sorry! I don’t get it. Can you elaborate?
He is just saying that both 50Hz and 60Hz are "about 100Hz". It seems the author was just speaking in generalities. Can you provide a link to where you got that quote? Thanks.

berkeman said:
He is just saying that both 50Hz and 60Hz are "about 100Hz". It seems the author was just speaking in generalities. Can you provide a link to where you got that quote? Thanks.
It is from six easy pieces by Feynman. It is mentioned that 100Hz or cycles/sec is electrical disturbance and behaves as field.
So that means it’s usually 50-60hz but at the time of power surge it goes 100hz(100 cycles/sec).

rudransh verma said:
So that means it’s usually 50-60hz but at the time of power surge it goes 100hz(100 cycles/sec).
No, I don't think that's what they are saying. I don't have a copy of that book, so it's hard for me to guess what was being said.

berkeman said:
No, I don't think that's what they are saying. I don't have a copy of that book, so it's hard for me to guess what was being said.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 82
Yeah, he's just talking about approximate AC Mains line frequencies being on the order of 100Hz. See how he is using orders of magnitude to describe the other bands? It's just an unfortunate choice of words to call AC Mains line frequencies "disturbances".

1630178831092.png

Likes rudransh verma
berkeman said:
Yeah, he's just talking about approximate AC Mains line frequencies being on the order of 100Hz. See how he is using orders of magnitude to describe the other bands? It's just an unfortunate choice of words to call AC Mains line frequencies "disturbances".

View attachment 288251
I thought it’s usually 50-60 cycles but when there is Voltage increase or power surge then it goes up to 100 and we get dangerous fields generated around the circuits. That is disturbance. What do you think?

rudransh verma said:
I thought it’s usually 50-60 cycles but when there is Voltage increase or power surge then it goes up to 100 and we get dangerous fields generated around the circuits. That is disturbance. What do you think?
Nope. I've worked with AC Mains a lot and also with powerline Surges (like due to lightning), and the powerline frequency does not change. As @.Scott said early on -- changing the AC mains frequency would have all kinds of other problems.

.Scott said:

More common are short-term "Swell" and "Sag" of the line voltage, which can cause other problems. There is a tremendous amount of inertia behind the AC Mains line frequency for it to change in response to a "disturbance".

berkeman said:
Nope. I've worked with AC Mains a lot and also with powerline Surges (like due to lightning), and the powerline frequency does not change. As @.Scott said early on -- changing the AC mains frequency would have all kinds of other problems.
More common are short-term "Swell" and "Sag" of the line voltage, which can cause other problems. There is a tremendous amount of inertia behind the AC Mains line frequency for it to change in response to a "disturbance".
So the author is talking about the same 50-60 hz(cycles) and is mentioning it as 100 and he is calling it disturbance and is saying it is a field.
50-60 or 100 are all almost same.

rudransh verma said:
50-60 or 100 are all almost same.
Yes, see how he lists other frequency bands as orders of magnitude?

rudransh verma said:
he is calling it disturbance and is saying it is a field.
Yes, as I said the term "disturbance" is unfortunate. I'm guessing he said that because the AC Electric and Magnetic fields from AC Mains wiring are "parasitic" in the sense that they are not used for anything. They are a result of the voltages and currents in the wires, not part of a communication system like the other "Waves" that he lists.

Likes rudransh verma
berkeman said:
Yes, see how he lists other frequency bands as orders of magnitude?Yes, as I said the term "disturbance" is unfortunate. I'm guessing he said that because the AC Electric and Magnetic fields from AC Mains wiring are "parasitic" in the sense that they are not used for anything. They are a result of the voltages and currents in the wires, not part of a communication system like the other "Waves" that he lists.
Yes it’s the current we use and the fields it creates around the wires are of no use and are disturbances.
One thing I’m not clear about.
The usual pickup that we get from electric currents in the circuits in the walls of the building has a frequency of about 100 cycles/sec.
Overall it is saying 100hz is the frequency of AC. Right?
If we increase the AC frequency and the wires can withstand the current then it would create strong fields around wires which could damage nearby appliances. The ends of the wire would create sparks by ionising the air.

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
The common AC Mains frequencies are 50Hz and 60Hz, which are on the order of 100Hz.
rudransh verma said:
If we increase the AC frequency and the wires can withstand the current then it would create strong fields around wires which could damage nearby appliances. The ends of the wire would create sparks by ionising the air.
No. There are a number of appliances and devices that use AC Mains power that would not tolerate much of an increase in frequency. Obvious ones are clocks that use the AC Mains frequency as a reference, and motors that rely on the AC Mains frequency to run synchronously with. The bigger safety risk is with AC Mains transformers -- they typically use laminations in their construction (Google search terms in bold) to limit thermal losses due to eddy currents.

The thickness of the laminations is set by the 50/60Hz line frequency, and if you go a lot above that, you get lots more losses due to heat and potentially a bad overtemperature failure of the transformer. (Please don't ask me about the time that I inadvertently set the AC Mains generator for a test setup to 400Hz instead of 60Hz and fortunately smelled the melting transformers before they caught fire in the lab...)

rudransh verma said:

No, you seem fixated on this and constantly repeating it, it is incorrect

In SOME countries, the mains frequency is 50Hz -- Australia (where I am) and New Zealand are a couple of them
In OTHER countries the mains frequency is 60Hz

As @.Scott said earlier, the mains freq. which ever is used, is very strongly controlled and it's variation would be 0.5Hz or less.

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:

No, it's the frequency "picked up" ( received) by test equipment

Likes rudransh verma and berkeman
berkeman said:
The common AC Mains frequencies are 50Hz and 60Hz, which are on the order of 100Hz.
It is a little more definite than that. If you run a 50Hz current through a resistor the power fluctuation goes like ##sin^2## which doubles the frequency. That is why the fluorescent lights ( in the UK) flicker at 100 Hz: current going either direction makes light. An arc will put out RF modulated at 100 Hz. for the same reason.
So the interference is often the power delivered and the author was being exact

hutchphd said:
It is a little more definite than that. If you run a 50Hz current through a resistor the power fluctuation goes like ##sin^2## which doubles the frequency. That is why the fluorescent lights ( in the UK) flicker at 100 Hz: current going either direction makes light. An arc will put out RF modulated at 100 Hz. for the same reason.
So the interference is often the power delivered and the author was being exact
@davenn In India it’s 50hz.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
Sorry yesterday I was a little tense. But now I got you. You are saying the author is talking about same 50-60 hz but referring it as about 100. They are all same roughly. This current in wires make fields which he called as electrical disturbance.
Imagine somehow it’s frequency is increased to a dangerous level. After destroying electrical appliances there would be huge fields around the wirings. We would see sparks in which is actually ionising the air.

Last edited:

1. What are the common sources of electrical disturbances?

Electrical disturbances can be caused by a variety of sources, including power surges, lightning strikes, electromagnetic interference, faulty wiring or equipment, and even natural phenomena such as solar flares or geomagnetic storms.

2. How do power surges affect electrical systems?

Power surges occur when there is a sudden increase in voltage in an electrical system. This can damage sensitive electronic equipment and cause malfunctions or failures. In extreme cases, power surges can even lead to fires.

3. Can lightning strikes cause electrical disturbances?

Yes, lightning strikes can cause significant electrical disturbances. When lightning strikes a power line or building, it can send a surge of electricity through the system, damaging equipment and potentially causing power outages.

4. What is electromagnetic interference (EMI) and how does it affect electrical systems?

EMI is a disturbance in an electrical circuit caused by external sources such as radio waves, magnetic fields, or nearby electrical equipment. This interference can disrupt the normal functioning of electronic devices and cause malfunctions or failures.

5. How can I protect my electrical system from disturbances?

There are several steps you can take to protect your electrical system from disturbances, including installing surge protectors, using high-quality wiring and equipment, and grounding your system. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect your electrical system to identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.