What is the correct method for transforming a matrix to a new basis?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation is about transforming a matrix from a standard basis to a new basis using a transformation matrix. The problem is that the solution given by someone else is different from the one provided by the speaker. The speaker is unsure of their method and asks for clarification. The summary also mentions the use of basis vectors and a mapping from the old basis to the new basis.
transgalactic
my solution is in that link

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8267rf4kq1.jpg

i solved it using that method

i want to transform a matrix from a standart basis to basis B
A-out old matrix
X- the old basis
Y-the new basis
S-the transformation matrix
S^-1 -its inverse

N-resolt
i did
Y|X>>>I|S

S|I=I|S^-1

N=S*A*S^-1

the problem is with the solution that i was given

but the problem is that the solution that i was given is totaly different

http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=45865659to7.jpg

A-old matrix
B-new basis
N-answer

i noticed that he takes
B|A>>> I|N

thats totaly different i can't see any logic in that
and he got a different answer from me
and he got full points for that

that gives me a great dought in my method

can you please tell were am i wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you wrote down but if

Y=TX

where:

T is a transformation from x to y
then the matrix is transformed as follows

A2=T A T^-1

The basis vectors which you are given can be thought of as a mapping of the basis vectors to the x y z coordinates. Thus your problem differs slight in that I believe T^-1 has columns which are the x, y and z coordinates of the basis vectors which you specified.

Related to What is the correct method for transforming a matrix to a new basis?

1. What is transformation theory?

Transformation theory is a psychological theory that seeks to explain how individuals change and develop over time. It proposes that personal transformation occurs through a process of self-reflection, self-awareness, and personal growth.

2. How is transformation theory applied in scientific research?

Transformation theory is applied in scientific research through various methods, such as qualitative interviews, observations, and surveys. Researchers use these methods to gather data on individuals' experiences and changes over time, and then analyze the data to identify patterns and themes related to personal transformation.

3. What factors influence personal transformation according to transformation theory?

According to transformation theory, personal transformation is influenced by internal factors, such as self-reflection and self-awareness, as well as external factors, such as social and environmental influences. Additionally, transformation theory highlights the role of personal agency and the ability to actively engage in the process of transformation.

4. Can transformation theory be applied to all individuals?

Yes, transformation theory can be applied to all individuals. While everyone's experiences and processes of transformation may differ, the underlying principles of self-reflection, self-awareness, and personal growth are applicable to all individuals.

5. How does transformation theory contribute to our understanding of personal development?

Transformation theory contributes to our understanding of personal development by providing a framework to explain how individuals change and grow over time. It also emphasizes the importance of self-reflection and personal agency in the process of personal development, which can inform interventions and approaches to support individuals' growth and well-being.