What is the current flowing in this zero-Ohm path?

In summary: The current in this case will be finite(it will not be 10A as the video says) but very large, it will start from 10A and rise to the large finite value (which will be the maximum current that the non ideal voltage source supports). Then one of the following things can happen because the voltage source is not ideal and can support up to a maximum value of current1) The voltage source might catch fire2) The voltage source might drop its voltage and so the current will drop back to a lower value3) If the voltage source is protected, then just the fuse will intervene and the current will drop to zero4) In general some other unpredictable thing , like the short circuit
Kevin J
The 2 Ohms on the voltage source is its internal resistance, what is the current flowing through the (0 Ohms) Path?
20181107_222219.jpeg

Attachments

• 20181107_222219.jpeg
    20181107_222219.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 836
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for schoolwork? What do you think the answer would be?

Likes Kevin J
Hint, for a voltage source the 2 Ohm internal resistance is in series with the 10 V.

Likes Kevin J
berkeman said:
Is this for schoolwork? What do you think the answer would be?
Don't worry, this is not a school hw, shouldn't the current be 5A? Since the current only flows through the 0 Ohms path?

Dale said:
Hint, for a voltage source the 2 Ohm internal resistance is in series with the 10 V.
Ok, let me think, if the parallel resistance is (5×0)/5+0, this means the parallel resistance is equal to 0 Ohms, if the 2 Ohm resistance is series doesn't that mean 0+2 Ohms? Correct me if I'm wrong

Kevin J said:
shouldn't the current be 5A?
Yes, exactly!

Likes Kevin J
Dale said:
Yes, exactly!
Thanks! People here are so nice, in physicsstackexchange, they are sometimes very rude, every question I asked is considered as a duplicate and they even banned me from their forum :(

Likes Dale
Kevin J said:
Then what about this, I saw this video from youtube, is this even correct? Shouldn't the resistance being considered in the calculation, is the internal resistance of the battery? View attachment 233635

The person on the web says the 10A flows through the short circuit(0 resistance path), but how do you even get this conculsion? If we take a look at the problem, the total parallel resistance would be (10×10×0)/10+10+0=0 Ohms, using V=I×R, doesn't it mean current is infinite?
To make it clearer if you look at the diagram drawn by me(brown pen), the current flowing through the short circuit path would be 5A, because the source has internal resistance (10V/2Ohms), it is very clear that I don't use the 5 Ohms resistor to calculate the current, so why do the person on the web used those resistors?
20181108_121034.jpeg
20181107_222219.jpeg

Attachments

• 20181108_121034.jpeg
    20181108_121034.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 20181107_222219.jpeg
    20181107_222219.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 469
In my opinion you are right that the current will be infinite.

BUT perhaps the person on the web says something else which you didn't notice, perhaps he is saying that the voltage source has internal resistance 5Ohm?

OR perhaps if originally the circuit is not shorted, then we have 10A current flowing. When we short circuit it, then there will be a small transient state during which the current will rise from 10A to infinite. At the start of the transient state the current flowing through the short circuit will be 10A and soon it will become infinite. Is this what the person at the web says?

Kevin J said:
The person on the web
Which person? Can you post a link to the video?

Wrichik Basu said:
Which person? Can you post a link to the video?

Here's the link, was there something I missed?

Ok, well the video discriminates between two cases:

The ideal case: I agree with the video that current will be infinite, because an ideal source can keep steady voltage even for infinite current through the source.

The practical case: I partially agree with the video. The current in this case will be finite(it will not be 10A as the video says) but very large, it will start from 10A and rise to the large finite value (which will be the maximum current that the non ideal voltage source supports). Then one of the following things can happen because the voltage source is not ideal and can support up to a maximum value of current
1) The voltage source might catch fire
2) The voltage source might drop its voltage and so the current will drop back to a lower value
3) If the voltage source is protected, then just the fuse will intervene and the current will drop to zero
4) In general some other unpredictable thing , like the short circuit path catching fire (because it will become extremely hot due to the large current) e.t.c

Likes Wrichik Basu
There are at least two problems with his explanation of the practical case. (I'm ignoring super conductors here)..

1) All real world voltage sources have some internal resistance and he should show that on his circuit.

2) All real world short circuits have some resistance and he should show that on his circuit.

It is the combination of these two resistances that determines/limits how much current will flow.

Edit: Delta mentions other reasons why a practical circuit might behave differently that are also correct.

Likes OmCheeto and Delta2
Kevin J said:
Thanks! People here are so nice, in physicsstackexchange, they are sometimes very rude, every question I asked is considered as a duplicate and they even banned me from their forum :(
Same reason why I sought refuge here in PF. I still have an account in physics StackExchange, but I go there once in a long while to chat with old friends who are reluctant to come here.

Delta² said:
Ok, well the video discriminates between two cases:

The ideal case: I agree with the video that current will be infinite, because an ideal source can keep steady voltage even for infinite current through the source.

The practical case: I partially agree with the video. The current in this case will be finite(it will not be 10A as the video says) but very large, it will start from 10A and rise to the large finite value (which will be the maximum current that the non ideal voltage source supports). Then one of the following things can happen because the voltage source is not ideal and can support up to a maximum value of current
1) The voltage source might catch fire
2) The voltage source might drop its voltage and so the current will drop back to a lower value
3) If the voltage source is protected, then just the fuse will intervene and the current will drop to zero
4) In general some other unpredictable thing , like the short circuit path catching fire (because it will become extremely hot due to the large current) e.t.c
and how do you count the battery's maximum current, is it it's voltage divided by it's internal resistance?

Kevin J said:
and how do you count the battery's maximum current, is it it's voltage divided by it's internal resistance?
Maybe you could take as an upper bound that value (EMF/internal resistance) , because for this value the voltage drop at the battery's terminals will become zero but I think most batteries can support maximum current that it is quite smaller than this value.

Kevin J said:
The person on the web says the 10A flows through the short circuit(0 resistance path), but how do you even get this conculsion? If we take a look at the problem, the total parallel resistance would be (10×10×0)/10+10+0=0 Ohms...
Try that math again...

russ_watters said:
Try that math again...
What do you mean try the math again?0 divided by 20 is 0

Kevin J said:
What do you mean try the math again?0 divided by 20 is 0
0+10 is 10

Unless you wrote it wrong, you're doing the order of operations wrong.

russ_watters said:
Try that math again...
The usual problem when we don't use latex, we forget to put parentheses and this can mess a lot things. He means (10x10x0)/(10+10+0)

Though again for three resistances in parallel the total resistance is ##\frac{R_1R_2R_3}{R_1R_2+R_1R_3+R_2R_3}## in this case it should be ##\frac{10\cdot10\cdot0}{10\cdot10+10\cdot0+10\cdot0}##

Likes russ_watters

Related to What is the current flowing in this zero-Ohm path?

1. What is a zero-Ohm path?

A zero-Ohm path is a circuit component that has zero resistance, meaning that no voltage drop occurs when current flows through it. It is often represented by a resistor with a value of 0 ohms.

2. How does current flow through a zero-Ohm path?

Current flows through a zero-Ohm path in the same way as any other electrical path. It follows the path of least resistance and flows from the higher potential to the lower potential. The only difference is that a zero-Ohm path offers no resistance, so there is no voltage drop.

3. What is the purpose of a zero-Ohm path in a circuit?

The purpose of a zero-Ohm path is to provide a connection point for current flow without introducing any resistance. This can be useful in complex circuits where multiple components need to be connected, or in situations where a temporary connection is needed for testing or troubleshooting.

4. Can a zero-Ohm path be replaced with a wire?

Technically, yes, a zero-Ohm path can be replaced with a wire. However, it is important to note that a wire will still have some small amount of resistance, whereas a zero-Ohm path has none. This may affect the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How is a zero-Ohm path different from a short circuit?

A zero-Ohm path and a short circuit are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. A zero-Ohm path is intentionally designed into a circuit, whereas a short circuit is an unintended connection that can cause damage or malfunction. Both offer a path of low resistance, but a short circuit can cause problems, while a zero-Ohm path is a deliberate part of the circuit design.