What is the efficiency of the energy conversion in the cannon bore?

In summary, Rumford observed that when one horse turned a cannon bore for about 2.5 hr the temperature of 27 lb of water that was initially ice cold (near 0°C) rose to near boiling hot (near 100°C). Given that one horsepower is 33,000 ft-lb;min, that 1 kg weighs 2.2 lb, and that 1 in. = 2.54 cm, what is the mechanical equivalent of heat in joules per calorie implied by these rough numbers?The problem:Rumford observed that when one horse turned a cannon bore for about 2.5 hr the temperature of 27 lb of water that was initially ice cold (near 0°C) rose to near boiling hot
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
The problem:

Rumford observed that when one horse turned a cannon bore for about 2.5 hr the temperature of 27 lb of water that was initially ice cold (i.e., near 0°C) rose to near boiling hot (i.e., near 100°C). Given that one horsepower is 33,000 ft-lb;min, that 1 kg weighs 2.2 lb, and that 1 in. = 2.54 cm, what is the mechanical equivalent of heat in joules per calorie implied by these rough numbers?

I converted all of the units to SI and equated $Q = mc \Delta T$, trusting that we have to find is $c$. The numeric value I found for $c$ is 5.468 cal/g°C. The answer is 5.48 J/cal.

The numbers match, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the concept behind what I'm doing. The mechanical equivalent of heat is how much work you have to perform on the system (or by the system) to generate the same temperature difference due to heat. How would I compute that in this case?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
The problem:

Rumford observed that when one horse turned a cannon bore for about 2.5 hr the temperature of 27 lb of water that was initially ice cold (i.e., near 0°C) rose to near boiling hot (i.e., near 100°C). Given that one horsepower is 33,000 ft-lb;min, that 1 kg weighs 2.2 lb, and that 1 in. = 2.54 cm, what is the mechanical equivalent of heat in joules per calorie implied by these rough numbers?

I converted all of the units to SI and equated $Q = mc \Delta T$, trusting that we have to find is $c$. The numeric value I found for $c$ is 5.468 cal/g°C. The answer is 5.48 J/cal.

The numbers match, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the concept behind what I'm doing. The mechanical equivalent of heat is how much work you have to perform on the system (or by the system) to generate the same temperature difference due to heat. How would I compute that in this case?

The units are different, so if the numbers are close, that is merely coincidence.
It means we're talking about different quantities.

Btw, the unit of your horsepower should be $\text{ft}\cdot\text{lbf}/\text{min}$, where $1\text{ lbf} = 1 \text{ lb} \cdot g =1 \text{ lb} \cdot 9.81 \frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}$.

The formula to calculate the work of the horse is:
$$W=P\cdot t$$
where W is work, P is power, and t is time.

From $W=P\cdot t$ and the proper conversions, we get the work done by the horse in joules.
From $Q=mc\Delta T$, we get the same energy in calories.

Btw, the value of $c$ was apparently once defined as $1 \text{ cal}/(\text{g}\cdot\text{°C})$.
Where did you get $5.468 \text{ cal}/(\text{g}\cdot\text{°C})$ from?

Set them equal to each other, and we can calculate the ratio between joules and calories, which should come out as a constant that depends on which definition for calorie we use. In all cases it is:
$$4.182 \lessapprox \frac{\text{cal}}{\text{J}} \lessapprox 4.204$$

What I did was convert $27$ lb to $kg$, finding $m = 27/2.2 \text{ kg} = 27/2.2 \cdot 10^3 \text{ g}$. I used the same formula you did for energy, finding $$W = \frac{33000 \text{ ft-lb}/\text{min}}{0.7376 \text{ ft-lb}/\text{J}} \cdot 150 \text{ min} = \frac{33000 \cdot 150}{0.7376} \text{ J}.$$ Then $Q=mc \Delta T$ implies $$c = \frac{Q}{m \Delta T} = \frac{33000 \cdot 150}{0.7376} \cdot \frac{1}{\frac{27}{2.2} \cdot 10^3} \cdot \frac{1}{100} = 5.468 \frac{\text{ J}}{\text{g} \cdot {}^{\circ} \text{C}}.$$

Edit: From the computations above I see that it's $5.468$ Joules per gram centimeters.

Does this mean that to arrive that the desired answer we divide by $$c_{\text{water}} = 1 \frac{\text{ cal}}{\text{g} \cdot {}^{\circ} \text{C}}$$ to arrive at the mechanical equivalent?

Fantini said:
What I did was convert $27$ lb to $kg$, finding $m = 27/2.2 \text{ kg} = 27/2.2 \cdot 10^3 \text{ g}$. I used the same formula you did for energy, finding $$W = \frac{33000 \text{ ft-lb}/\text{min}}{0.7376 \text{ ft-lb}/\text{J}} \cdot 150 \text{ min} = \frac{33000 \cdot 150}{0.7376} \text{ J}.$$

That should be $\text{lbf}$ instead of $\text{lb}$. (Worried)
The difference is a factor of $9.81$ and a different unit.
$1 \text{ lbf}$ is the weight of $1 \text{ lb}$, which is the force with which the Earth pulls on the mass. (Nerd)You're only getting away with it, because the units cancel. (Whew)
Does this mean that to arrive that the desired answer we divide by $$c_{\text{water}} = 1 \frac{\text{ cal}}{\text{g} \cdot {}^{\circ} \text{C}}$$ to arrive at the mechanical equivalent?

Yes. (Nod)

More accurately, you're using the mechanical equivalent to approximate the ratio between joule and calorie.
We can expect some energy to "leak" away, which is why your value is higher than the defined value. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
That should be $\text{lbf}$ instead of $\text{lb}$. (Worried)
The difference is a factor of $9.81$ and a different unit.
$1 \text{ lbf}$ is the weight of $1 \text{ lb}$, which is the force with which the Earth pulls on the mass. (Nerd)You're only getting away with it, because the units cancel. (Whew)

Then the book is wrong, as I copied verbatim. (Worried) But I understand your point now.
I like Serena said:
More accurately, you're using the mechanical equivalent to approximate the ratio between joule and calorie.
We can expect some energy to "leak" away, which is why your value is higher than the defined value. (Nerd)
You mean that we measure additional energy that "leaked" from somewhere else, hence why the value is higher?

Fantini said:
You mean that we measure additional energy that "leaked" from somewhere else, hence why the value is higher?

The power the horse provides makes the temperature of the water rise, but it also makes the area around the water rise, which leaks away without use to us.

More specifically, the efficiency of the energy conversion in the cannon bore is:
$$\text{efficiency} = \frac{\text{Useful output energy}}{\text{Total input energy}}
=\frac{Q}{W} = \frac{4.184}{5.468} = 76.5 \%$$

1. What is the mechanical equivalent of heat?

The mechanical equivalent of heat refers to the relationship between mechanical energy and heat energy, and is represented by the symbol J. It states that a certain amount of mechanical energy is equivalent to a specific amount of heat energy.

2. Who first proposed the concept of mechanical equivalent of heat?

The concept of mechanical equivalent of heat was first proposed by a scientist named James Prescott Joule in the 19th century. He conducted experiments to show the relationship between mechanical energy and heat energy.

3. How is the mechanical equivalent of heat measured?

The mechanical equivalent of heat is typically measured in units of Joules per calorie (J/cal). This means that for every calorie of heat energy produced, a certain amount of mechanical work is required.

4. What is the practical application of the mechanical equivalent of heat?

The mechanical equivalent of heat is important in understanding energy conversion processes and is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and physics. It also helps in calculating the efficiency of different energy sources and their conversion into useful forms of energy.

5. How does the mechanical equivalent of heat relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The mechanical equivalent of heat is closely related to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, and the mechanical equivalent of heat helps in understanding this conversion process between mechanical energy and heat energy.